Looking for Dana 44 4:09 TT car rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Dana 44 4:09 TT car rear axle

I'm in L.A. area. I know these are EXPENSIVE to ship, so I was hoping to fine one locally, but so far no luck. I would also consider a 3:92 or maybe a 3:73 if the deal is right.

I don't need backing plates or drums and would buy one without halfshafts as well, as I will be using the Fairborn axles.

Got to be a twin-traction rear end, however--and NOT thrashed!

The guy that bought my Starliner took out the 4.27 gears and carrier and Richmond Gear powertrax lockrite and replaced it with the 3.54 open gears and carrier I had in the car originally. PM me and I can put you in touch with the guy. The carrier is from Phil Harris. The gears are from Ted and just have a couple of runs in the Tomato before he switched to 4.56's. The Lockrite was new, but is fairly aggressive (clicking on some turns, etc) but locks 100% when you nail it...unlike the TT units that only lock about 50%.

Think about your choice of gears carefully. Unless you have a pretty deep overdrive, even 4.09's really take away the "cruiseability" of the car...I loved the low gears, but they are not for everybody. Also my car had a solid lifter SBC which LOVES to rev...unlike the long stroke Studie 289.

BTW, 3.92 and lower numeric take one carrier and 4.09 and up take another carrier.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The guy that bought my Starliner took out the 4.27 gears and carrier and Richmond Gear powertrax lockrite and replaced it with the 3.54 open gears and carrier I had in the car originally. PM me and I can put you in touch with the guy. The carrier is from Phil Harris. The gears are from Ted and just have a couple of runs in the Tomato before he switched to 4.56's. The Lockrite was new, but is fairly aggressive (clicking on some turns, etc) but locks 100% when you nail it...unlike the TT units that only lock about 50%.

Think about your choice of gears carefully. Unless you have a pretty deep overdrive, even 4.09's really take away the "cruiseability" of the car...I loved the low gears, but they are not for everybody. Also my car had a solid lifter SBC which LOVES to rev...unlike the long stroke Studie 289.

BTW, 3.92 and lower numeric take one carrier and 4.09 and up take another carrier.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I'll be running a hot R1 backed by a T85 OD in my '56 Champion. I don't really plan on whole lot of long-distance driving, so 4:27 gears might be just FINE! Does this rear end have the flanged axles by any chance?

Comment

I'll be running a hot R1 backed by a T85 OD in my '56 Champion. I don't really plan on whole lot of long-distance driving, so 4:27 gears might be just FINE! Does this rear end have the flanged axles by any chance?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer
            Does this rear end have the flanged axles by any chance?
            NOT a rear end. Ring and Pinion, carrier, and Richmond Gear Lockrite unit. I did run Fariborn Axles with it.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

NOT a rear end. Ring and Pinion, carrier, and Richmond Gear Lockrite unit. I did run Fariborn Axles with it.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

The only Stude rear ends I have around here are one 3:07 and one 3:31 open rear ends. Fron what was stated above, I am assuming this unit will fit my housing with no problem? I know I'm sounding like a total ignoramous, but I have NEVER messed around much with Stude Dana rear ends . . .

Comment

The only Stude rear ends I have around here are one 3:07 and one 3:31 open rear ends. Fron what was stated above, I am assuming this unit will fit my housing with no problem? I know I'm sounding like a total ignoramous, but I have NEVER messed around much with Stude Dana rear ends . . .

Comment

I have a 4-speed Daytona I bought as a donor car. Seller said it has gears in the 4.something range, which I have no interest in. It's stored till Spring, but if you don't find something by then, maybe I can help. I am in NY, though.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I have a 4-speed Daytona I bought as a donor car. Seller said it has gears in the 4.something range, which I have no interest in. It's stored till Spring, but if you don't find something by then, maybe I can help. I am in NY, though.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I THINK Rich LaTorre has/had a 409 open Stude axle he really wants to get rid of.He is on the alt.autos Studebaker NG as amnotR2 something or other!

Comment

I THINK Rich LaTorre has/had a 409 open Stude axle he really wants to get rid of.He is on the alt.autos Studebaker NG as amnotR2 something or other!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

I really need a posi rear end. The one Dick is talking about is sounding pretty sweet!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ChampTrucking

I really need a posi rear end. The one Dick is talking about is sounding pretty sweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X