57 golden hawk 1973 test drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 golden hawk 1973 test drive

One of my early automotive memories involved my dad " really not a car guy , totally an engineer"thinking he would like to buy our neighbor , Mr. Stewarts 1957 golden hawk. Looking back I'm thinking my Dad was interested because he is an aerodynamasis engineer who started out designing superchargers in england and quickly moved on to turbochargers. I remember walking down the street to Mr.Stewarts house and looking inside the small one car garage with a large gold car inside, really big chrome grill and tail fins.Mr Stewart lifted the hood and I remember my dad and Mr stewart talking about the supercharger.My Dad and I took the car for a test drive it was at night and I remember the dash and Stewart warner gauges. We drove the car around the neighborhood for 15-20 minutes and I remember my dad rolling on the throttle a couple of times seemed to really pull, then sadly the car died . My dad told me later the points had failed. Can't help but think had that not happened my pops would have bought it. No matter for a 10 year old boy it was an awesome adventure and defiantly helped start my hot rod - automotive addiction

A very cool memory. What made you think of it these many years later?
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

Comment

Surfing this site and my very first studie purchase

Comment

Fantastic story, I wonder when Your Dad realized it was the points that failed. in 1972 I had a similar test drive with My Father,only this Studebaker came home with Us and is still with Us
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Sadly Joseph it was after the car was towed home and Mr. stewart told my Dad the cause of the problem. Like I said my pops is an Engineer….. not a mechanic . Something that we still argue about…..and he's 87.

Comment

Working...
          X