Convertible top frame ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convertible top frame ?

I came a cross a OEM convertible top frame still in the wooden crate. The part number stamped on the crate is 1338300X1. According to my research it fits a 61 - 64 I assume it would be a Lark ? I have no idea the value or the condition as it is un-opened. I would think shipping would be a issue as it looks like it would be truck freight. If I end up with it it would be located in NC if that would help anyone. Any thoughts on demand or value?

Why would it be different than the 60?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

QUOTE=RadioRoy;1022637]Why would it be different than the 60?[/QUOTE]I do not know, I emailed the number to Studebaker int. and that was the info. I was given. I know nothing about Studebakers but have purchased a few pieces some to re-sell and a couple trucks for future projects.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        Why would it be different than the 60?
        Could be as simple as '60 top frames were painted a tan color and '61 - '64 were black.

Comment

Look at the parts book and see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            Could be as simple as '60 top frames were painted a tan color and '61 - '64 were black.
            This one is black

Comment

They are pretty robust.. However if you see below what it takes to rebuild one.. In this case I had to have the bushings special made as well as some special step bolts made to replace the riveted ones. But this one was in a dry climate, and I had a small rust issue on the front bow, but was able to repair it. I've seen two convertibles, 60 and 61 and they do look identical, except for the 60 is white.

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
              No resting..
              The top mechanism needed some attention. As noted the bushings were worn as well as cracked up!
              Disassembled while numbering the bushings and taking pictures..

Some pivots were bolted in, others Riveted and had to be ground off to remove..

Since SI does not have the nylon bushings or the Rivets, I had them custom made, The shoulder rivets are now shoulder bolts.
              The nylon bushings are now Duralon, which is a carbon fiber impregnated plastic..

Top Assembled..

Comment

Sebastian,.... your talents blow me away.

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

The top of the windshield frame is straight on the 61-64. On the 60 it's rounded like the glass.

Comment

Working...
                  X