They're still out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're still out there.

My brother and I drove about 60 miles to look at a Studebaker pickup that a customer of his had seen in a shed. The truck was indeed there and turned out to be a very early 2R sold new in May of...1948 and titled as a 1948 model. It has the early frame without the braces angling across the front that the later trucks used. The owners dad got it in payment for s debt, but they didn't drive it much and he parked it in 1984. Not bad shape to have been parked that long. The rear corners are bubbled with rust pretty far up and the mice wrecked the upholstery, but no huge issues were apparent. I would love to buy it, but I don't know if I could offer enough to tempt him.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I would ask him how much he would need for it. It might not be much.

I spotted my first two Studebakers on the streets of El Paso in 1968-9 and asked the owners if they would sell the car. I was pleasantly surprised at how little they wanted for them. Both 1950 Commander 4 dr. sedans, one for $85 and the other for $50. Actually I had to make the offer on the second car for $50, and the owner was very happy that I made such a high offer for a car that had two burned exhaust valves. As long as I was putting in 2 I decided to go all the way and put in all 6 exhaust valves for the total sum of $7.60. A few hours work and I was good to go.

Comment

The truck has been sitting there for thirty years. How could you offend him with a low offer? If he's offended, that's his problem! Don't forget to have the hood open and that magnificent rat's nest visible when you make your offer.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        My brother and I drove about 60 miles to look at a Studebaker pickup that a customer of his had seen in a shed. The truck was indeed there and turned out to be a very early 2R sold new in May of...1948 and titled as a 1948 model. It has the early frame without the braces angling across the front that the later trucks used. The owners dad got it in payment for s debt, but they didn't drive it much and he parked it in 1984. Not bad shape to have been parked that long. The rear corners are bubbled with rust pretty far up and the mice wrecked the upholstery, but no huge issues were apparent. I would love to buy it, but I don't know if I could offer enough to tempt him.
        I think you guys have way too much on your plates right now. You should really back away from this awful deal. It has waaaay too much rust for you to have to deal with. In fact, look at that engine, how will you ever get that horrible truck running ever again. So, like I said, just walk away and don't worry about that old piece of junk.... by the way, whats the phone number of the seller?????
        sals54

Comment

SAL..
          lmao........

Comment

I might have a pair of those front frame braces.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
              The truck has been sitting there for thirty years. How could you offend him with a low offer? If he's offended, that's his problem! Don't forget to have the hood open and that magnificent rat's nest visible when you make your offer.

You bet! Keep that hood open when offering and mention you, "might be obligated to pay relocation fees to the current residents.".

Comment

I will probably call him today. I am thinking it is basically a good body. The mechanical parts are questionable after this many years of Arkansas humidity
                The logical side of me says I don't need another project. The rest of me wants a 2R truck. We know how that usually turns out.
                Last edited by 52-fan; 11-09-2016, 06:54 AM.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  I will probably call him today. I am thinking it is basically a good body. The mechanical parts are questionable after this many years of Arkansas humidity
                  The logical side of me says I don't need another project. The rest of me wants a 2R truck. We know how that usually turns out.
                  Thanks for posting this. Regardless of outcome, you have provided at minimum, a spark of hope, that another languishing forlorn Studebaker, might find a path to resurrection/restoration. Even if you become only a conduit to another owner, it is time well spent.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The good side of this is that the truck has not been disassembled and the parts/bolts scattered around the farm.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                      The good side of this is that the truck has not been disassembled and the parts/bolts scattered around the farm.
                      The only"disassembly" that is obvious was tossing the seat cushions into the bed because of the mouse smell. The interior was rattle can painted sometime in the past and the exterior painted a silver blue that looks like primer under the dust, Chevy radio, ignition switch changed. I suspect the truck was changed to 12 volts for the radio. The owner says that he started having to hold the knob for the dash light dimmer over to keep the lights from going out. No deal killers. I think all of this modification was done by the previous owner. BTW the truck has overdrive, but he says it quit working.
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Well, after a couple of attempts today I finally got the owner on the phone and made an offer. He turned me down, but said to call him again later on. I think I will wait until the weather turns cold and the days are gloomy and try again.
                        He wouldn't set a price and just kept talking about how the truck has such low miles. It turns out that he was the one who repainted it and changed things. I pointed out to him that it has been 33 years since he last drove it and it would need everything repaired to be drive-able. At least I gave him something to ponder.
                        To be continued at a later date.....
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I thought a person was suppose to haul yard debris in the bed of the truck, not under the hood! Great find.
                          Mark L

Comment

Rat condominium is more like it!
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I wouldn`t attempt to call him again.
                              If you made a reasonable offer I`d leave it at that
                              When reality kicks in that he`ll probably never do anything with it and he finds himself short of a few $
                              I`m sure he`ll call you quick enough
                              It`s amazing how values increase as soon as someone takes an interest
                              But worthless if no interest
                              Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X