Lights went out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights went out!

After leaving a car show with my 55 President i turned the headlights on and had nothing but parking lights. Had to run a jumper wire from the battery to the front ceramic block. Been trouble shooting.when i push the dimmer switch the headlights both flash with the turn signals. I replaced the dimmer switch still the same problem.Am i missing a ground somewhere. Help!!

More info please. Has the car been rewired or modified lately or has this problem just surfaced in a car that has been operating normally?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

It is original wiring and everything was working properly until the show.

Comment

Circuit breaker fail? I have a '55 Prez but it's 12 volts so such should not be an issue...

Comment

I would start by making sure you still have power to the proper terminal on the headlight switch and then work out towards the lights. If the power is reaching the lights they should work. It sounds like the switch is not working properly.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Jim Freed;
            If I recall correctly there are 5 terminals on the ceramic junction by the radiator. High and low beam both directional lights and the parking lights. That should be the only place that the wiring for the directional lights are near the head lights wiring.
            That is where i would start checking. When does each terminal become powered. Left, turn; right turn; dimmer switch pressed; dimmer switch pressed again. headlight on parking lights on etc.
            As I sit here it is hard to understand how the directionals wiring has anything to do with the headlights. The wiring to them has nothing in common other then they both are on the front of the car. Head lights work with the key off directionals do not.
            Ron

Comment

For the scenario you mention to happen, you just about HAVE to have bare wires at that terminal block touching each other!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X