Rebuilding the Studebaker Straight 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding the Studebaker Straight 6?

I recently came across a 1950 Studebaker sedan, I am uncertain as to the series. It hasn't run since 1978, but it isn't in bad shape. How hard is it to overhaul one of the engines in those? I am thinking about buying it, but I do not want to take on an overly difficult engine rebuild as part of it.

Parts are very available for Studebaker Champion 169/170 Flathead Engines, if it IS a Champion it will be easier to find parts than a Commander but both are available.

As far as the Process goes, it would be for the most part like any Make of 1950's Engine as long as you have and follow the well written Studebaker Shop Manual as to the few little details that differ on a Studebaker built Engine from the rest.

If you get the Serial number from the Drivers Door latch Post we can tell you more, also there is a "Body Tag" on the Right side of the Engine side of the firewall that gives the Body Style and Body Line Sequence.

The Champion or Commander Nameplates were on both Front fenders.

Got Pictures?

The Commanders and Long Wheelbase, Luxury Sedans called "Land Cruisers" as this one is, both have the Huge Headlight Rims and Parking lights that are much smaller on Champions, also Champions have shorter Front Fenders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Land Cruiser Black2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1709942 (Clickable Once or Twice.)
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-07-2016, 05:57 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stude 6-cyls are agricultural. Nothing could be simpler, as long as one has a Shop Manual. The current problem we're having with Champion 6-cyls is valve lifter bores are worn and oversize lifters are NLA. Make sure you discuss this possibility with the rebuilder. We're also using positive valve stem seals. That's not in the Shop Manual, but is a Good Thing. Most of the rest is cake.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by ClayBelt View Post
        I recently came across a 1950 Studebaker sedan, I am uncertain as to the series. It hasn't run since 1978, but it isn't in bad shape. How hard is it to overhaul one of the engines in those? I am thinking about buying it, but I do not want to take on an overly difficult engine rebuild as part of it.
        Hi Andrew,
        Welcome to the SDC Forum. I am currently building a cut-away 170 cid 6 cylinder as a promotional display, if you need any photos of internal just let me know.
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Working...
        X