turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: turn signals

Should I try my own ground wire from back of speedometer to the metal kick panel ? Other day I drove my 55 stude and the inside turn signal briefly went on ,and then nothing .. I changed 3 bulbs , the highbeam indicator , and two signal bulbs behind the dash.. Saw some green dust fall out of one of the sockets , not alot ,,,,so maybe corrision was starting,,, I took all the bulbs out after driving and sprayed some w d 40 in the 3 sockets ... went to drive the car again ,and nothing for turn signals ... I bought some die electric grease ,haven;t applied it yet,,, I asked if there was a aersol corrision spray I could try in each socket,,,,, parts guy said to try some battery terminal corrision spray ,,, maybe I should buy some of that ,,,and take bulbs out again and inspect each socket inside ,,, I think I'm close to getting them to work ....Mike 14x7

I'd be careful about what you spray WD-40 on. I had some hardware in a divided plastic container and sprayed WD-40 on the bolts to keep the rust away. A month later the plastic container was all out of shape. Model A guys are well aware of what WD-40 can do to the potmetal ignition switch, and it isn't good. If you actually have that much corrosion, I'd remove the instruments and give them a good cleaning with a small wire brush. I just can't imagine that much corrosion, unless the car sat out in the weather with no windshield.

Comment

I would NOT put that external corrosion protection Batt. Cable coating on a Light Bulb Socket, it is for sealing OUT Dirt, Water, Moisture and Acid, it may not be a good conductor for BETWEEN Contacts as Dielectric Grease is.

The chances are that your problem is not the Indicator Lights, but a loss of Power at the Turn Signal Flasher, it's Contacts, the power wires going IN and Out of it, plus the T/S Fuse also on the Flasher mounting Insulator Board with the Stop Light Fuse.

With a Standard Flasher, the Front & Rear or one of them may just light without flashing, or with a Variable Load Flasher they may work when the indicator Bulb is out of the circuit or one has an open Ground, but they will not totally all quit.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
      X