Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is car worth about?

Hi,

I have a 64 Studebaker GT Hawk. THe car is all apart. I had the body bead blasted and it was epoxy primed. The floor pans were replaced but the trunk pan needs to be replaced. I have the pans but have not gotten it done. THe car had only 72,000 miles on it and I am the second owner. I have all the parts for the car. I also have many new parts (Rubber seals, front grille, bushings, tie rods, etc). Can someone give me some kind of ballpark on what this car may be worth? I know it is hard with no pics. It has some rust and needs minor body work. THe engine was running fine before I took it apart.

A mere fraction of it's value together. i.e., I bought a R2 GT project further along for $8500 that the owner had spent over 50K on. I've spent another 10K, and perhaps 200-300 hours in finishing it. In hindsight, I would have better better off parting it out, but that was not a option for this car. I'll guess you'll be in the 2-4K ballpark depending on the value of the NOS parts.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

A mere fraction of it's value together. i.e., I bought a R2 GT project further along for $8500 that the owner had spent over 50K on. I've spent another 10K, and perhaps 200-300 hours in finishing it. In hindsight, I would have better better off parting it out, but that was not a option for this car. I'll guess you'll be in the 2-4K ballpark depending on the value of the NOS parts.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

64 GT's are desirable cars, but you are probably not going to like the answers you get here. Disassembled cars, failed projects...even with some work done to them and some new parts are super hard to market and sell. A buyer will most likely pay MORE for a car like yours BEFORE it was torn down, blasted, primed, floors fixed new parts, etc...then they will like it is now.

Unless it has any unusual equipment (R motor, 4 speed, air, powershift), I'd say $2-3k...and it is STILL going to be hard to market and sell even at that low of a price.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

64 GT's are desirable cars, but you are probably not going to like the answers you get here. Disassembled cars, failed projects...even with some work done to them and some new parts are super hard to market and sell. A buyer will most likely pay MORE for a car like yours BEFORE it was torn down, blasted, primed, floors fixed new parts, etc...then they will like it is now.

Unless it has any unusual equipment (R motor, 4 speed, air, powershift), I'd say $2-3k...and it is STILL going to be hard to market and sell even at that low of a price.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

That was about what I was expecting. I have an interested buyer but not sure it is worth it with the money I have spent. I spent that much in welding work last year. Is there a market for parts on this car or is it worth that effort?

Comment

That was about what I was expecting. I have an interested buyer but not sure it is worth it with the money I have spent. I spent that much in welding work last year. Is there a market for parts on this car or is it worth that effort?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 64stude
                Is there a market for parts on this car or is it worth that effort?
                There is a market for the parts and you MAY get more for the parts than the car as a whole...but it would be a huge effort.

Sell all the small (shippable) stuff on eBay. Write hundreds of ads, deal with ALL KINDS of buyers and potential buyers, package and ship the stuff, THEN deal with the disgruntled buyers who didn't get what they thought they saw.

Marketing the big stuff (sheet metal, mechanical parts, engine, etc.) is tough...generally this ONLY works for potential local buyers due to transport costs. Your pool of buyers is limited where you live. You could end up just getting scrap value for much of the big stuff.

I'd suggest finishing the car and enjoying it like you originally intended. Sure, you will have more time and money into it than you thought you would...but we ALL do that .

If that isn't an option, I'd unload it as a package for the best deal you can make. If you have a potential buyer, don't let him get away without taking the car with him. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 64stude
                  Is there a market for parts on this car or is it worth that effort?
                  There is a market for the parts and you MAY get more for the parts than the car as a whole...but it would be a huge effort.

Sell all the small (shippable) stuff on eBay. Write hundreds of ads, deal with ALL KINDS of buyers and potential buyers, package and ship the stuff, THEN deal with the disgruntled buyers who didn't get what they thought they saw.

Marketing the big stuff (sheet metal, mechanical parts, engine, etc.) is tough...generally this ONLY works for potential local buyers due to transport costs. Your pool of buyers is limited where you live. You could end up just getting scrap value for much of the big stuff.

I'd suggest finishing the car and enjoying it like you originally intended. Sure, you will have more time and money into it than you thought you would...but we ALL do that .

If that isn't an option, I'd unload it as a package for the best deal you can make. If you have a potential buyer, don't let him get away without taking the car with him. [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

THanks for your help. I think I may just finish it as I intended. It will be nice when it is done. Time is just a huge factor. Hope I live long enough to see it finished.

THanks again

Comment

THanks for your help. I think I may just finish it as I intended. It will be nice when it is done. Time is just a huge factor. Hope I live long enough to see it finished.

THanks again

Comment

The money you spent on the car often does not affect the value. i.e. say you spent 8K welding in new floors, body work and rust repairs to get a Hawk body in primer, the car is still worth way less then the typical 7-9K rust free west coast driver. I own two GT's right now that are worth about half the previous owners investments, and they are done, rare R2's. I'd hate to see a 64 GT parted out, but doing the right thing by taking a hit as-is, or finishing the car will lose you some serious cash.
                        I wish I had a easy answer that would get the car to someone that would finish it without a loss to you, but it's a problem without a easy solution.

JDP/Maryland
                        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                        spent to date $54664,75
                        64 R2 GT (Sid)
                        spent to date $62,439.30
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The money you spent on the car often does not affect the value. i.e. say you spent 8K welding in new floors, body work and rust repairs to get a Hawk body in primer, the car is still worth way less then the typical 7-9K rust free west coast driver. I own two GT's right now that are worth about half the previous owners investments, and they are done, rare R2's. I'd hate to see a 64 GT parted out, but doing the right thing by taking a hit as-is, or finishing the car will lose you some serious cash.
                          I wish I had a easy answer that would get the car to someone that would finish it without a loss to you, but it's a problem without a easy solution.

JDP/Maryland
                          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                          spent to date $54664,75
                          64 R2 GT (Sid)
                          spent to date $62,439.30
                          63 Lark 2 door
                          51 Commander
                          39 Coupe express
                          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Unless you are in your late 90's, I say go for it.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                            58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                            58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                            62 Daytona (White)
                            63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

Unless you are in your late 90's, I say go for it.

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                              58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                              58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                              62 Daytona (White)
                              63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

Working...
                              X