Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Champ accessory gauges...59/60 Larks also?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ accessory gauges...59/60 Larks also?

Over the years I have seen the accessory gauges and bezel that seems to have been fitted on Champ trucks when someone wanted more information about what was going on under the hood.

Question I have - if someone wanted an amp and oil pressure gauge on a '59 or '60 Lark (1) could they get it, and (2) were they mounted in the same place. My 1960 accessory booklet does not direct reading gauges for the Lark - but I am sure it just listed the most popular accessories...

Photo below is what it looked like on a Champ.
    Attached Files

The Factory Optional Gauge Kits I have seen on Champs were mounted in the Radio Blankout Plate. Probably not available for Private/Civilian use on '59-'60 Larks.

They were also sold to fit in the outboard lower corners of the '61 and '62 Lark Instrument Group "Recess" Panel and they came in Black for Champs and White face as well to match all '61 Larks and the Deluxe '62's.

Unless you have the Box these came from with mounting Instructions, or a Production Order showing them etc. they may be correct Gauges but improperly owner installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GageSetSpecOrder61_62.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1709888
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-04-2016, 06:43 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You posted a factory photo of a dash so equipped in post #42 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ice-cars/page2

Craig

Comment

That 61/62 dash did have the surface area to mount those extra gauges - wonder where those gauges went on the 1960 Champ...could be easily fitted over to the Lark...

Comment

What I did with my old '64 Champ was to graft in a '61/62 dash fitted with guages from a '63 Lark. Unfortunately, I never took any pix of it but it worked out pretty well. It was a long bed with a 289/Powershift out of a wrecked GT hawk, (full flow). I'm kinda sorry now that I sold it but seller's remorse seldom receives little in the way of forgiveness...
          Last edited by GrumpyOne; 11-04-2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            You posted a factory photo of a dash so equipped in post #42 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ice-cars/page2

Craig
            My assumption was is that was the fleet application for those accessory gauges - thought maybe the average Joe who wanted a radio as well would have a different options...

Comment

Anyone have a 59/60 Lark with accessory gauges? Or have seen a factory/dealer equipped?

Comment

With the switches for heater, lights, fan and wipers mounted on either side of the gauge cluster on a Champ it is difficult to know where else to place additional gauges. On the '61 Champ truck I purchased a few years ago a previous owner had installed an ammeter and oil pressure gauge in the dash just to the left of the gauge cluster and switches. They are standard Stewar-Warner gauges and look like they were meant to be there. I will try to get a photo to add here.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I have an original radio delete plate that has two holes for gauges that I purchased from SASCO many years ago for my 59 Lark and was told it was for a Champ. I did do a wrinkle finish on it and it has some non factory gauges but they do the job. From what I was told this is how one could add extra gauges to a Champ, as log as a radio was not used.

Like Craig mentioned in post #3.

Len
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                    My assumption was is that was the fleet application for those accessory gauges - thought maybe the average Joe who wanted a radio as well would have a different options...
                    Just going on pictures I've seen I would think that back in the day if someone wanted a vehicle (either a 59/60 Lark or Champ) with the accessory gauges it could have been possible to install a C cab truck radio on the lower edge of the dash similar to the C cab installation.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                      Over the years I have seen the accessory gauges and bezel that seems to have been fitted on Champ trucks when someone wanted more information about what was going on under the hood.

Question I have - if someone wanted an amp and oil pressure gauge on a '59 or '60 Lark (1) could they get it, and (2) were they mounted in the same place. My 1960 accessory booklet does not direct reading gauges for the Lark - but I am sure it just listed the most popular accessories...

Photo below is what it looked like on a Champ.
                      My solution to better instrumentation on my '64 Champ was pretty simple. I slightly enlarged the holes in the dash and overlay and installed a '64 car gauge set and a certified 160 mph '64 speedometer (I was running a R-1 engine in it at the time).
                      The truck was totaled in an accident in '84 and I don't have good pictures of the dash head on so this old scanned photo will have to do.
                      Attached Files
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                        Just going on pictures I've seen I would think that back in the day if someone wanted a vehicle (either a 59/60 Lark or Champ) with the accessory gauges it could have been possible to install a C cab truck radio on the lower edge of the dash similar to the C cab installation.
                        Maybe because my Lark is a bare bones Deluxe IV it is quite noisy in the passenger compartment and I see no way of hearing the original radio whilst driving, unless one was on the side streets and doing no more than 35 mph. With the weak power of the old radios and small speakers I don't know how we used to do it. After swapping in the OHV six and overdrive transmission I did see a major improvement in driving and a lessening of noise. Once the car is back on the road and driving with it's new upgrades I will have to take stock of the noise levels. Even though now it has some sound deadening and carpet it could need more isolation from the engine bay and exhaust. So hopefully the V8 and the aforementioned attempts of sound dampening my make it at least bearable.

I do like the setup of the gauges in 62champ's first post.

Len

Comment

Using the 63-66 Speedometer and Gauge cluster is the easy way to go. Jerry Kaiser had enlarged the holes in the dash slightly to accept the newer gauge set up. The dials are easy to read and having full set up with gas, oil pressure, amps, and temperature in great. The best thing is that is looks stock and no other tack on gauges are needed. If I get a Champ truck that is the first thing I would do.

Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ

Comment

To see a 1960 Lark production order that showed the optional oil pressure gauge and ammeter, check out my article in the July 2016 Turning Wheels. I included a PO on page 8 of that issue which shows option "1548734 OIL GAUGE AP METER". The accompanying text explains. The 1959-1964 Chassis Parts Manual shows this option.

George
                            george krem

Comment

Thanks Mr. Krem - found it and it seems like they put down the wrong parts number in the PO. - closest ones in the book show to be 1548739 and 1548738 where production order shows 1548734... Book also shows all the various parts except for an actual bracket that the gauges would be housed in under the dash.

My 7E truck parts catalog does the same thing - all the gauges, screws, nuts, pipes, bulbs, etc., but nothing about brackets

Comment

Working...
                              X