E Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E Bay

Does it peeve off anybody else when a dealer puts up page after page of the same thing like the one selling modern suspension parts on E bay at the moment. ?

Sure, but what ya gonna do?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Many years ago, eBay and Amazon decided they were there for the mega-retailers and said FU to the individual sellers and buyers. Whatever it takes to get in front of the most eyeballs, they'll whore out to do. A complex search description can block most of the worst, but it has to be repeated and updated to keep ahead of the sellers who have a software team working all day every day to make sure you can't avoid them.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

All those repetitive auctions have some word in common, like my favorite "Corner Killer" (#@!@%***!). Go up to the search window and right after the word Studebaker, type in "-killer' ( no parens ) and click the search button again. It will return all the auctions, but omit anything with the word "killer". You can enter as many strings as you like, just put a space in between them...

here's the one I use in link format
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I do the same type of search with "-fits" no quote marks, and that filters out a lot of crap.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I also use Studebaker -fits -covers and that will take all the stuff out that repeats. Yeah I do have to type it in most of the time. When I narrow it to a year I am looking to find all the car covers suspension etc etc all disappear.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
              Does it peeve off anybody else when a dealer puts up page after page of the same thing like the one selling modern suspension parts on E bay at the moment. ?
              Use the filter option to the left of the listings such as checking the "used" box if looking for Stude items.

And yes, eBay has become increasingly annoying...

Comment

I agree, and just had this happen yesterday with all that suspension crap. I'll have to add "killer" to my minus list.

Yep, ebay has turned from a small guy's auction to a dealer's high priced cyber store.

Comment

Who cares... just move on and ignore it. Like with everything else there that's irrelevant to ya. No biggie.

Comment

I just did an ebay search for "1953 Studebaker" and had over 14,000 hits. After I added "-killer" the hits dropped to 2,295.

That's how bad that junk front suspension cluttered up the search.

Comment

Its one of the many "first world" problems we encounter every day. It wasn't that long ago we had to send away for a catalog, wait 4 days for our request to arrive... wait a week for our check to clear.... wait 4 days for processing.... wait another week for the catalog to arrive... peruse the listings for several days.... save the money, or steal it out of the food budget... send away for the parts we want... wait 4 days for the request to arrive at the vendors.... wait a week for check to clear again.... wait a week for parts to be fished out of the warehouse, (picture the warehouse from Raiders of the Lost Ark)... wait a week for said parts to arrive in the mail... Oooops. Now its Winter. Now wait for Spring to install parts. Whew ! ! !
                      Now all we have to do is browse through a few extra pages of cr*p on the ebay listing and the parts are ordered, paid for, shipped and received within 4 days. Now we can install them in the current Springtime instead of the following Springtime.
                      We love the good old days.... NOT ! ! ! I love the new old days.
                      sals54

Comment

Its still faster for me to look up the part I want ,sometimes in old catalogs ,pick up the phone talk to a real person at a reputable company, sometimes companies that nobody thinks even exists anymore…… Use my credit card and have the parts delivered in 1 to 2 weeks. I do my best to avoid the flash in the pan gone next week defiantly not car guys ,blow sunshine up your behind jag offs…..

Comment

Try this in your search.

studebaker, -fits, -chips, -charts, -chopper, -Preformed, -CornerKiller, -Flake, -mustang, -rak, -AeroShock, -Covercraft, -Diagram, -Catalog, -info, -pgs, -chevy, -chevrolet, -glass, -glasses, -information, -CHRYS, -DESOTO, -DODGE, -PLYMOUTH, -ford

I do this and add words each time I encounter repetitions I'm not looking for.

I also look at 'auctions' only as most people who are trying to move stuff just wat it gone and its up for auction. After that I go back to 'buy it now."

Gone are the days when I searched all of ebay and was lucky to find more than a dozen listings for Studebaker. I did buy plenty of good stuff back then.

Len

Comment

The only problem with the "-" trick is sometimes ads that you are looking for have that word in the title or search words. Did a search for a Studebaker brochure and the list of a 1,000 or so ads were selected. There were two ads for what I wanted on the first page, so I did the "-fits" search and this time nothing came up. Went back to the first search and checked the first hundred or so for anything I was looking for.

The best search was looking for 1958 Studebaker sales sheets (no brochure that year, just sheets for the models). The first on the list was an ad for EGR valves, with the notation in the ad, (Fits: 1958 Studebaker). This time "-fits" did bring up a dozen or so ads for what I wanted.

Biggest gripe with eBay these days is their Global Shipping Program (run by Pitney Bowes) sellers can use for shipping to foreign countries. Wanted a colour chip sheet a few months back and the seller used GSP to ship to Canada. One 8-1/2"x11" sheet was going to cost me $25.95 in American dollars ($34.60 Canadian). Emailed the seller and he agreed to ship it by US Postal. That came to $9.00 US ($12.00 CDN). Much better. PB used to charge customs fees - Canada and the U.S. have free trade, so no import duties. Its cheaper to ship from the Scandinavian countries to Canada than GSP and, believe it or not, faster.

Bill
                            Vancouver, BC
                            Bill
                            Vancouver, BC

Comment

Using e-bay, google, bing, ask, etc. no longer produces the results that we want. The huge data inputs on the net have produced so many "hits" that normal searches are futile, without understanding how to limit results, and even then, sometimes getting no results because your query is too specific. I continually forget, that unless somebody, somewhere, has put information for things pre 1980 on the net, it won't exist there no matter how hard I try.

Comment

Working...
                              X