• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking about a swindle

Robert Kapteyn

LMAO Who's Swindling Who?

Comment

Unless it is a very nice truck, he shouldn't worry about being swindled at that price. With the wording and no pictures he has scared off most potential buyers.
      He is probably asking what an "expert" neighbor or the like told him it must be worth. If anyone offers him less they must be trying to cheat him. I have met people like that and some can get really nasty if you don't agree on their price.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

It has 90% of it's original parts. It has been in my family a long time.It i s worth the time and money for restoration. I will send pictures for serious inquiries only, please. "The only way" I will consider the sale of the truck is cash only. You or a representative on your behalf will meet in person and discuss any concerns about the truck before any agreement is made. Nothing personal but over the years I have had individuals try to swindle me out of my truck.
        Your opinions and experience may vary. These are just random thoughts which may be entirely incorrect in this instance, but have been mostly true in my experience over fifty years of looking at old Studes:

$8,000 and no photos? The seller may have both an unrealistic expectation and is not willing to do the research or the work for a good advertisement.

"Has 90% of the original parts" Just missing the grille, rear fenders and tailgate? Since no photos or description, it's a valid concern as to what is the 10% missing.

"It is worth the time and money for restoration." Not to the owner, obviously.

"Been in the family a long time . . . . over the years I have had individuals try to swindle me out of my truck." Forty years of turning down market offers while it continues to sit and deteriorate? If before the negotiations begin the seller's attitude is, "I suspect every one I meet is dishonest." don't go there. At best, it will be an unpleasant experience.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Or maybe its a typo.. 800 dollars instead of 8000 dollars ..
          Love my Lark

Comment

Typical typical typical. Jack hit the nail on the head. My mother taught me a long time ago do not try to reason with unreasonable people. Until the owner joins the great majority (grim reaper) it will eventually return to the earth from which it came.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

When I was a teen in the 50s a neighbor had a 36 Ford Coupe sitting in his yard. Almost weekly someone would try to buy. It just sat there slowly melting. When the owner died it went to the crusher. Sad fate of many old cars.
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

there is a similar truck listed in Houston, with pix, for $3K

Comment

Originally posted by Jett289 View Post
                  Or maybe its a typo.. 800 dollars instead of 8000 dollars ..

You beat me to it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TX Rebel View Post
                    there is a similar truck listed in Houston, with pix, for $3K
                    Fellas name is Clyaton Dodd, and the truck is a rust bucket. Maybe a good parts truck, at best, or some one hard up for a rough project. More like $800.00, certainly not $8,000.00. I don't even think it's worth posting pictures here, but if anybody wants to see it, drop me a note at my email address and I'll forward what he sent me.
                    Bo

Comment

Here's my prediction; the truck will never be sold by the current owner due to an unrealistic price expectation. He will pass on someday and his wife/family/estate will need to dispose of it. It will sell at auction, or to a local collector or salvage yard at a fraction of the current price.
                      Dan Peterson
                      Montpelier, VT
                      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

What's the problem... the price? Hey, he can ASK anything he wants (like the kid selling pencils for $20k a piece who said, "If I sell just one..."). Anyway, there are inappropriate priced goods everywhere you look and the old/vintage vehicle market probably has more than its share... you've found another???

Comment

People need to get realistic about their stuff, unfortunately many do not. Over the years I collected a great deal of vintage stereo equipment. Most of it worked or could be easily repaired. I finally sold it as a lot and got 10 cents on the dollar of what it could be sold for. It took 2 24' U haul trucks to move the stuff. The guy who bought it will probably end up selling it for $35-45,000 as he owns a shop. But I have gotten to the point of being unable to sell the stuff on my own, I had very little money into the equipment and with an upcoming move to a new house with no space for it I sold it all for $3,500.00. But then again it paid for the new appliances and window coverings in the new house and I didn't have to deal with it. Yes, it was kind of hard to swallow but I had to face reality. It was doing me no good sitting there when it could be put to use and enjoyed by someone else for years to come. I am still trying to come to grips with my tools though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
                            Fellas name is Clyaton Dodd, and the truck is a rust bucket. Maybe a good parts truck, at best, or some one hard up for a rough project.
                            There is a Studebaker truck near here that is like that. The owner is a nice guy, but the truck is not kept near his house. I bet he hasn't really looked it over for years. I was going to buy it for parts, but when he told me a price I just moved on. The truck is a V-8 automatic and he used to drive it to work, but that was probably 30 years ago.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Very sad indeed and as we all get older there will be more of these I'AM GOING TO RESTORE THAT SOMEDAY"S. that end up in china. If it's a special Studebaker or something very rare the price will go up the rest as we studebaker guy's get older the price on most will drop. For $8000 on a stude pickup it has best be very nice and drivable anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X