mystery turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: mystery turn signals

Has anyone tried to convert to led parking/turn signals and encountered this weird operation my standard bulbs 1137 work flawlessly but as soon as i put in the led bulbs the signals are all over the place front ones work as they should as parking brakes, but both flash as turn signals no matter which side you select.The rears work when the bulbs are inserted but not seated but as soon as they are twisted and seated they stop working. I'm at wit's end the car is a 56 Hawk and yes i have installed the required electronic flasher, can anyone offer some advise.This is worse than figuring out a Lucas system.

Do you not need a "Dummy Load" to make things operate right? Doofus

Comment

Defective bulbs. I have the same thing laying in my tool box. Replaced them with a different brand, and all was well.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

mystrey turn signals

Originally posted by doofus View Post
        Do you not need a "Dummy Load" to make things operate right? Doofus
        Pardon my ignorance but I have never heard the term Dummy Load in an electrical situation can you explain.

Comment

I helped my son put LED tail/turn signal light bulbs in his 46 Chevy and we had to buy a load resister (auto parts store) so it would work properly. The LEDs pull so little amperage that it's not enough to make the signal stat function so you need a load resister.

Treblig

Comment

I encountered this problem when in a rush to get my M5 on the road for a particular car show. I threw on some 2x4 bumpers so I would have something to attach license plates and turn signals to. I used the cheapest LED trailer turn signals I could find and they didn't work!!! I found out they make special flashers for LED turn signals or you can install a resistor. Go with the flasher.

Comment

He said it already has the flasher, and that the bulbs didn't light after turning them in the sockets, but worked fine if just pressed into place without turning. Yes I have come across this before, and they were bulbs that were not clocked with the contacts, and the holding prongs. DEFECTIVE....as stated in post #3!!!!!!!!!!!
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                He said it already has the flasher, and that the bulbs didn't light after turning them in the sockets, but worked fine if just pressed into place without turning. Yes I have come across this before, and they were bulbs that were not clocked with the contacts, and the holding prongs. DEFECTIVE....as stated in post #3!!!!!!!!!!!
                Yeah, I had some of those, too. Ended up throwing them away. That's what I get for buying cheapy LEDs at a flea market.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

If someone needs a good electronic flasher, this is the one I bought and bench tested. I got it to flash on as low as 6.3 volts, so it will work on a 6 volt car as long as the engine is running. I also got it to flash with only LED bulbs with no dummy load. It's a CEC EF-32. If you need a 3 prong flasher, then buy an EF-33.

Comment

Working...
                  X