Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Studebaker make 6x6 Military trucks in 1952?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Studebaker make 6x6 Military trucks in 1952?

Really?

I'm pretty certain they did.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Our unit in Fort Bliss had Studebaker 6 x 6 trucks in 1969, but I never checked to see the year of manufacture.
      I'd bet they were from that time period though, as about the only use they saw was when we went out into the desert to play war games.

Comment

Korean War relics.

Comment

A Brief History of Studebaker Trucks:
          An Analysis of Production Records

By Skip Lackie

The U.S. Government did provide some additional work, however. The Korean War triggered a requirement for new trucks for the Army and Marine Corps, and Studebaker proposed an all-new 2½-ton 6x6 military truck. Unfortunately, Reo’s bid won the competition. However, Reo was not able to meet the production targets, and sub-contracted with Studebaker to build trucks to Reo’s design. Studebaker ended up building 19,535 M34 and M35 2½-ton, 6x6 military trucks in 1952, and another 9,898 in 1953. These were strictly assembly operations, with no Studebaker-unique content added. They did, however, help to keep the truck production line running.
          Bob Langer
          Glenshaw,PA

Comment

They were still there in 1971 when I was stationed at Ft. Bliss A battery 8/7 artillery Group

Comment

Lycoming County Solid Waste Authority, just south of Williamsport, PA was still using one as recently as 1999.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Local volunteer fire department in the small (300) community my father grew up in was still using one as a brush truck in 2005.

Looks like the same company that made door/window handles for R-series trucks for Studebaker did the same for these trucks as well...

Comment

My dad worked on the army trucks in the early fifties at the plant out southwest of the main plant on the road that runs south of Indiana 23....can't think of the name but it runs across the south side of town and next to the mall and a golf course ultimately running to Mishewauka and Osceola. I believe that plant later was where they built wheel horse tractors.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Studebaker continued to build Army trucks to military specs right until the end of production in 1963 in South Bend. In fact, the company won a new Army contract for 6x6 trucks in late 1963. In 1964, the company sold its defense products division, including this contract and all of its parts inventory, to the Kaiser Jeep Corp. Kaiser Jeep also bought (from the federal govt) the Chippewa Ave plant that Studebaker had used for truck production. Kaiser Jeep was later purchased by American Motors, and this division became AM General, the originator of the Humvee.

Annual production numbers of Studebaker-built Army trucks are provided in the Stude truck history referenced above.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

HHB 2/152 FA out of Ft. Smith had a Studebaker Deuce as late as 1996.

Funny I was trained at Ft. Bliss 1992.

Comment

Working...
                      X