Can you ID this competing Muscle Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you ID this competing Muscle Car?

OK, everyone, if you're pretty smart, help me identify the muscle car competing against SDCer Rich Meadows' R4 Challenger in this photograph:

I honestly do not know what it is, so this isn't a Pop Quiz to see who can guess the correct answer....if I knew the correct answer, I wouldn't be putting this up!

From my records of the practice session at the 2016 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race, I know for sure it is one of these three cars:

1. 1966 Chevelle Malibu

2. 1964 Pontiac LeMans GTO

3. 1966 Oldsmobile 4-4-2

I'm writing captions for the 2016 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race article to appear in the January 2017 Turning Wheels. This is the only photo I have of Rich's car this year because he had clutch trouble late in the day Friday and did not return Saturday morning for the shootouts, which is when I took most of my photos on the strip itself.

Let's see what the concensus is on this over the next 24 hours, before I have to wrap this up and ship it to Ann Turner. (I'm leaning toward one of the three myself, but I won't skew the responses by saying which one, because I don't know for sure.)

Thanks. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 10-25-2016, 05:10 PM. Reason: added emoticon
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

looks like a Pontiac to me.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

1964 Pontiac LeMans GTO. Definitely not the 442 because the one you pictured lacks the blade-type front fender leading edge. And the location of the parking/turn signal light is not correct for the Chevelle.
      Last edited by r1lark; 10-25-2016, 03:34 PM.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

It's the Pontiac. My brother had a '64 Tempest...same front.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Yep, the DeLorean-mobile for sure !

Comment

Yep. I vote for number 2.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Do we have any dissenters on the 1964 LeMans GTO vote? Polls will remain open for awhile. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

64 GTO, this picture should confirm it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1964-pontiac-gto-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1709692
                Attached Files
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

My vote is for the 66 Chevelle.
                  Bob
                  Bob
                  Welland Ontario
                  60 Lark Convertible
                  64 Daytona
                  sigpic
                  "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

It's amazing how close the styling was in those GM products!

Comment

64 Goat, other options were 66 Chevelle and 442. Not even close, first sight of the picture said 64 GTO to me and the 66 models listed are not close. The 64 Chevelle had a different bumper so Goat. Best friend traded his 62 vette in on the first 64 GTO delivered in Bay City. Triple black post car with 4-speed and tri-power. Terrific car.

Bob
                      Last edited by sweetolbob; 10-26-2016, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Yep, guys; it's the 1964 LeMans GTO. I found this additional photo of its tail among my photos for the 2016 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race article coming up in the January 2017 Turning Wheels, although I'm not going to use this one:

You can see the LR quarter panel and letters of the GTO on the far left side of that photo. The color confirms it.

Incidentally, that run against the GTO was Ted Harbit and The Stude Tomato's 5th practice run at the event. He beat the GTO with a 13.903 ET @ 109.76 MPH, versus the GTO's 13.968 @ 104.69 MPH. The GTO is a 348HP tri-power car with 4-speed.

Thanks for everyone's comments. BP

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                          64 GTO, this picture should confirm it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59418[/ATTACH]
                          'Looks like it's close to the same color, Pat; you're good! BP

Comment

I seem to be going against the grain of all the responses here, but it looks like a 1961 or 62 Ford to me.

Comment

GTO GTO GTO no question about it....
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X