Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Master Cylinder Frustrating Woes

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me if the dual circuit non-power brake (no front disc brakes) master cylinder is a one year wonder on the 63 Lark? I ordered a new replacement from Studebaker International last week and it came in today. To my utter frustration nothing fits. It could be that they neglected to include adaptors. But the two holes for screwing on the steel brake lines are about twice the size of my line fittings, and the rear hole is actually larger than the front hole. Also the bottom hole for fitting the brake light switch is too small. Went down to Advance Auto with the new master cylinder no they couldn't help me with any adaptors.

I checked again and SI lists one (very expensive) one for 63 and another much less expensive one for 64-66 cars. And by the pictures the holes seem more like the proper size.

George

I have a hard time believing the issue cannot be dealt with via appropriate adapters; try other parts stores (NAPA is most helpful for my needs) and there is always online. All the best. (Btw, I have gotten newly manufactured replacement M/Cs that had a similar problem--one from SI some years ago.)

Comment

I am pretty sure 63 is unique. I have saw adapters, specifically to adapt the 64-66 to the 63, but cannot recall where. You might wanna check with every Stude vendor you can find. Pretty sure one of our vendors has them. Maybe Dave T-bow.

Comment

Sounds to me like a previous owner converted it to the '64 - '66 style. That's what I always do on a '63. Just takes the '64 - '66 master cylinder, two fairly common adapter fittings, and a couple of lengths of pre-flared 3/16" brake line. (There is a union fitting located about under the driver's foot area.). I think something like a 20" line for the front and 50" for the rear.

Comment

Jerry's Post #4 is my thought exactly.
          The Car is set up for a '64-'66 M/C with small, both the same size Fittings, already adapted to screw right into a '64 Dual Master.

Yes '63 M/C ARE one of a kind, and much better changed to '64 as yours already is.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ok so is the fitting size the only difference between the 63 and 64-66 master cylinder? My brake line fittings look the same size as any other fitting I've seen on other 60s cars.

George

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
              I have a hard time believing the issue cannot be dealt with via appropriate adapters; try other parts stores (NAPA is most helpful for my needs) and there is always online. All the best. (Btw, I have gotten newly manufactured replacement M/Cs that had a similar problem--one from SI some years ago.)
              I agree with this solution. I had to replace the master cylinder on my '84 Avanti and the replacement came in with different size holes. A trip to NAPA and pawing through their fittings got me back on the road with no problem.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

No disrespect, but Advance Auto is set up to serve those who think changing a battery is a once-in-a-lifetime accomplishment. Try a NAPA or an old mom-and-pop independent FLAPS -- one that has a tall cabinet of different brass fittings.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

I agree, our local NAPA has the best selection of brass fittings. They even had what I needed to rig up a fuel pump pressure gauge on my Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by reichsrundfunk View Post
                    My brake line fittings look the same size as any other fitting I've seen on other 60s cars.
                    George
                    George, I think that what the other posters are trying to say is that if your car had a '64 style master cylinder installed into it sometime in the past, the brake line fittings would have been changed to the more normal (smaller than the '63) size fittings.

Honestly, posting a few pictures of the master cylinder you took off the car, the new master cylinder from SI, and the current brake line fittings that are on the car may help the forum provide you more specific advice.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Another choice is to find a mechanic who has a good flaring tool and with a assortment of fittings and make new lines with appropriate ends to match master cylinder with lines looks more like factory manufacture than all the adaptors in my view. I have a friend who will make up new lines with proper fittings and the end result they fit and look correct.

Comment

My guess is there should be no problem finding the adapter fittings. The "small" fittings are common 3/16" brake line, the M/C holes are common for the 1/4" lines, adapters used all the time-even on some factory setups. Even Advance Auto has them on the fittings rack. Take the M/C and the line with you to make sure the adapter is right-I've forgotten the thread sizes, just make sure the female end, is an inverted flare for the tube nut to seal right.

Comment

Hi George, it's been awhile. i really miss the the '40 Champion - but when ex's are involved...

i agree that a 64/66 MC as others have stated, is the way to go. perhaps the '63 part can be returned to SI and get the one you need.

good luck!
                          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

'63 to '64 Drum Brake, no-Power, Dual Master Cylinder difference

Originally posted by reichsrundfunk View Post
                            Ok so is the fitting size the only difference between the 63 and 64-66 master cylinder? My brake line fittings look the same size as any other fitting I've seen on other 60s cars. George
                            Yes, as long as we are talking Drum brakes, No Power, the '63 is the same as the '64 except they do NOT interchange due to the Fitting sizes. I though this had been answered a few times already.

You do not have an Factory Original Type Master Cylinder, so correct '63 Parts do not fit.

In this case it's a very GOOD thing actually, the Car is already modified for the more available, cheaper '64 M/C.
                            I would think if you buy the replacement '64 M/C from the same Studebaker Vendor, you may not have to pay the re-stocking fee for your mistake.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for all your input. This morning I called back SI and we determined that the car is set up with 64-66 master cylinder and steel brake line fittings. They are sending me a 64 master cylinder and I have already sent out the master cylinder I got yesterday back to them. They remarked to me that based on my cars relatively late production date of end April it likely was eauipped with 64 setup from the factory. I expect once I get I in a few days it should be a pretty direct drop in.

George

Comment

Working...
                              X