55 Commander Production order came !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Commander Production order came !

Well, we got the production order for our car today, interesting, but very short ! That's OK, the folks told me the earlier ones had less info. A couple of interesting things immediately pop'd for me... Can any of you help with the things I question ? Thanks much, John. Oh, guess I'd better add a pic in case this doesn't remind anyone of what our "new baby" is, ha !

it was a 3 speed manual with overdrive and a 4:27 ratio originally (now automatic, which is one of the reasons we wanted it !)

it was "P2590 Encino-Sonoro" color or colors. Is that two colors or the name of the pale yellow that it has under the black in a place or two ?

it has the "16G8 C5" code that I understand, but then "COMET" after that ... (no 289 Ford company jokes please, ha !) What is COMET ?

it shows 2492 discs. I assume this was the wheel covers ?

Trim number is "8106", but the document with this order has no description of what that means ?

Date to ship is "B&H"... ????

The engine number is different than the prod order, but we knew that already. (still a 259 block, at least externally per the "V" prefix engine number)

it was shipped to "San Francisco-Schloss". Is this the dealerships name ?

it originally had tinted glass and whitewalls too, now new glass and thankfully NO whitewalls, ha !
    Attached Files

Comet is the Western Union Telegram/Telegraph code (charged $ by the Symbol/Letter) for a Commander Coupe with Overdrive.

Encino Cream is the light yellow/cream and the two tone is Sonora Beige a very strange combo since they almost match being quite Light.
    Schloss is very likely the Dealer in SF, Calif.

I do not know what that B&H date to ship means.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-18-2016, 06:16 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you so much, StudeRich ! I am going to note all the info you guys provide to go with my production order. Now I need to see if the top has any trace of the beige, found some tiny chips with the yellow showing in a couple of places on the lower body.

Comment

In all of the production orders I've reviewed, the date to ship box is either blank (many/most), or has a date. I'll
        take a guess and say that your B&H should have been in the 'ship via' box, and that it was possibly hand written on the original and was misread when typed up by the Museum. Possibly it really said 'B&N' (Burlington Northern) That does appear fairly often on PO's.
        This car wasn't LA production? (first two numbers on serial plate 88)
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain, it was an L.A. car if the 88 means that . (8842106)

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
            In all of the production orders I've reviewed, the date to ship box is either blank (many/most), or has a date. I'll
            take a guess and say that your B&H should have been in the 'ship via' box, and that it was possibly hand written on the original and was misread when typed up by the Museum. Possibly it really said 'B&N' (Burlington Northern) That does appear fairly often on PO's.
            This car wasn't LA production? (first two numbers on serial plate 88)
            I don't think there was a Burlington Northern railroad in 1955. The merger that created it was still twenty or thirty years in the future.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              take a guess and say that your B&H should have been in the 'ship via' box, and that it was possibly hand written on the original and was misread when typed up by the Museum.
              If 'B&H' is supposed to be in the Ship Date box, it could mean 'Build & Hold' for dealer/customer pickup as it was made in Vernon, and it was allotted to a San Francisco dealer.

Craig

Comment

Beige and yellow, what an interesting combo!
                Don't think I ever saw a Studebaker with that color selection.
                Does anyone have a photo of a Stude with those colors?
                Could have been a special order deal I guess. Studebaker would have built any thing to sell a car.
                If you knew who to ask.
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                  Beige and yellow, what an interesting combo!
                  Sonora Beige is not as dark as one might think. One would have to place it next to Shasta White to see the actual difference.

Craig

Comment

I like Craig's answer better. Now that we know it was an LA car, it probably wouldn't have been shipped by rail anyway.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      If 'B&H' is supposed to be in the Ship Date box, it could mean 'Build & Hold' for dealer/customer pickup as it was made in Vernon, and it was allotted to a San Francisco dealer. Craig
                      BINGO!!!
                      And Craig wins whatever 'prize' Bob Palma wants to send him

Uses on Production Order form # W-704:

B&H = Build & Hold (Studebaker - Vernon)
                      LOT 150 = Ship to Storage # LOT 150 (Studebaker - South Bend)
                      SIP = Ship in Place (Kaiser Jeep - South Bend)

...and to insert a little quiz for today here:

The PRIMARY function of PRODUCTION ORDER form # W-704 used by both Studebaker and Kaiser Jeep in South Bend was not for what many/most people think it was. Anyone care to take a guess at what the PRIMARY function was for the existence of form # W-704???
                      Last edited by 56Golden; 10-19-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                        Dwain, it was an L.A. car if the 88 means that . (8842106)
                        It was within the first 1000 Vernon assembled 1955 Commanders (906 th).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post

...and to insert a little quiz for today here:

The PRIMARY function of PRODUCTION ORDER form # W-704 used by both Studebaker and Kaiser Jeep in South Bend was not for what many/most people think it was. Anyone care to take a guess at what the PRIMARY function was for the existence of form # W-704???
                          I'll take a WAG at that one, since Kaiser Jeep was involved, I think it had something to do with the State of Indiana. they would have wanted some kind of Tax, based on production in the State and it would involve both Co's.

I can not believe that was the Primary reason for the form though, because obviously the "Build" was THE MOST important reason so that a Assy. Line Copy would go to the Line to correctly BUILD the Car to Order. Without that, not a Car could be built.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for all the comments so far folks, but how about these two remaining items that are a mystery to me ? Thanks again from a really happy coupe owner !

Trim number is "8106", but the document with this order has no description of what that means.

it shows "2492 discs". I assume this was the wheel covers ?

Comment

,snip> Trim number is "8106", but the document with this order has no description of what that means.
                              To I.D. this you will need someone with a Studebaker TRIM book, number of it would be T-2600

it shows "2492 discs". I assume this was the wheel covers ?
                              Yes, AC-2492 are full disc wheelcovers (set of 4). Now if you had the AC-2497 "Sportster" center covers to go with them you'd rally have something rare.

(Perhaps Sir Richard Quinn will be along later to pop up a photo of both them for us)

Comment

Working...
                              X