Barn Find Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn Find Fun!

Went to visit an old friend a week ago to inquire about a Studebaker truck I knew he had stored in his barn. I had asked him about it a couple of years ago, and at that time he wasn't interested in selling it. So we were having a nice visit and I decided to take another run at it. This time he was willing to sell, although he had a hard time deciding on a price. Now his barn is full of cars, most of them Studebakers, so I began looking at the others as well, just for fun. Turns out he was thinking it was time to move most of them out-- they had been there for many, many years and I think he realized he was never going to do anything with most of them. Parked next to the '57 Transtar was a '63 Daytona Convertible, and next to that, a '52 Champion 2 door Sedan. Now I had no intention of buying 3 cars, but a package deal was agreed upon (including, by the way, a '63 Cruiser parts-car!). So when I came home that night, my Wife sees me and says "OK, so what did you buy?" and I said-- "Well... Sweetie... umm... I bought some Studes..." "SOME?" she says?
    So anyway, she's an awesome wife, and a few days later, she and I, my son, and my neighbor and his daughter were on our way to get them. It's a good thing they all came, because some cars were in the way that were STUCK in the ground, and one had all 4 wheels locked up. Pulling with 2 trucks, we got the offending behemoth Checkers moved out of the way, took the walls off of the barn, and pulled out the first two treasures...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1751937Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1751938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1751939Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1751940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1751941Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1751942This '52 was parked in the barn in 1976 and was running and driving fine at that time. It has 76,000 actual miles. Yes, ACTUAL miles. Supporting documentation came along with it. Next was this '57 Transtar that has 39,000 ACTUAL miles, same deal. running and driving when parked in 1984. Also has supporting paperwork. These two are rock solid, no rust, never wrecked, and I have since gotten both of them running and driving again. I'm replacing everything rubber in them: brake hoses and cylinders, radiator and heater hoses, etc but I'm thinking we may just enjoy them as-is for now. They both have some very cool "patina".Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1751945Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1751946 We haven't yet brought home the Daytona Convertible, and I only have this one picture of it, but it's a solid low-miler as well, also parked in 1976. I'll report more on it when I get it home in a month or so. I have to build some more storage space first! Ooops! Correction-- I can't fit any more pictures on this post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by drrotor; 10-16-2016, 08:22 PM.
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

What a great and glorious day. I wish I was there for that. I just love these stories. I've had the pleasure of finding a few of these through the years. I never tire of the excitement. Good luck with the whole thing.
    sals54

Comment

More Studes rescued...what fun! Congrats on your toys!
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
        Pulling with 2 trucks, we got the offending behemoth Checkers moved out of the way, took the walls off of the barn, and pulled out the first two treasures...[ATTACH=CONFIG]59143[/ATTACH]
        What is the body style of that '66 'blocking' the '63 Daytona convertible?

Craig

Comment

That 52 sure looks nice. I'll bet with a good cleaning and a coat of wax it will really shine.
          I have a 52 Champion 4 door the same color that runs great but is quite rusty.
          I've been thinking I should make it my daily driver since my Olds has given me so much trouble lately.

Comment

The seat cover in the '52 looks like a dealer-installed Studebaker accessory seat cover. If I can find my seat cover book I'll try to confirm that.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

offer some here for a good price !

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                What is the body style of that '66 'blocking' the '63 Daytona convertible?

Craig
                The '66 is a Cruiser, pretty decent shape. I also noticed an unusual '65 Cruiser-- V8/stick/O.D. 373 posi, but no power steering or brakes, no A/C.
                I can buy it too, but there's a limit!
                1951 Commander Starlight
                1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                1953 Champion Starlight
                1953 Commander Starliner
                1953 2R5
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                1959 Silver Hawk
                1961 Hawk
                1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                1965 Cruiser
                1970 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                  The '66 is a Cruiser, pretty decent shape. I also noticed an unusual '65 Cruiser-- V8/stick/O.D. 373 posi, but no power steering or brakes, no A/C.
                  I can buy it too, but there's a limit!
                  Thanks for the info.

I would love to see some photos of both of them when you get a chance. Incidently, I am restoring a '65 Cruiser 6/stick/O.D.

Craig

Comment

Walt has been to go to guy for helping people in the Northwest get their cars back on the road for decades. He is very careful to see that his cars go to good home. He is a wonderul friend, and I miss watching the train and streetcar videos we shared before I moved to Snohomish a few years ago.

Comment

Congratulations, and good for your friend for deciding to turn loose the treasures he has realized he will not get to. :-)
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Aren't those "Package Deals" a terrific selling point? Well, good for you! I do hear that a number of 'time machines' are found in barns.
                        JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Originally posted by Don Kelstrom View Post
                          Walt has been to go to guy for helping people in the Northwest get their cars back on the road for decades. He is very careful to see that his cars go to good home. He is a wonderul friend, and I miss watching the train and streetcar videos we shared before I moved to Snohomish a few years ago.
                          Walt has been my friend for a long time. He will enjoy what we do with these cars. For one thing, they will remain "All Studebaker" as long as I own them. Oh-- and-- our new '57 truck is now officially named "Walter"
                          1951 Commander Starlight
                          1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                          1953 Champion Starlight
                          1953 Commander Starliner
                          1953 2R5
                          1957 Silver Hawk
                          1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                          1959 Silver Hawk
                          1961 Hawk
                          1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                          1963 Daytona Convertible
                          1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                          1965 Cruiser
                          1970 Avanti

Comment

Congrats on your purchase. You've saved some Stude treasures. Yes, you have an awesome wife. You owe her big time.
                            Rog
                            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                            Smithtown,NY
                            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Congrats on those sweet rides! I remember looking at Walt's cars many years ago and drooling over that nice original '52. Can't wait to see it on the road!

Comment

Working...
                              X