'59 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 lark

I was given this lark 30 years ago and finally had get it out of the field or lose it last year. I just left it on the trailer till now as I need the trailer tomorrow. I had to split the front drums to get them to turn I haven't decided what to do with it but it looks better now that I cleaned it up. I got it to roll off the trailer. I have a complete low mileage 259 drive train and suspension I could put in it. I also have a spare R1/powershift put would need a heavier rear end. I can only hope to live long enough to finish all the projects I have already started. Here are some pictures.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1202.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1751922 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1196.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1751923Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1198.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	1751924Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1206.jpg
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1751925Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1214.jpg
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1751926

It's amazing that the car is in decent shape. At least it looks like that from here. It's a nice body style.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

One of the problems we run into here is that a car that was parked before 1980 will have been filled with Mt. Saint Helens ash. This holds what moisture we do get and rusts hidden areas. The floors are gone although they were chopped up anyway when someone installed the 3 speed floor shifter. I don't see much rust in the front fenders and the gutters seem sound. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1205.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1709494

Comment

That looks like a Neat little Lark from the outside, interesting though it has 1960 rear 1/4 Side Mouldings and the '59 "Studebaker" script Front Fenders, depending on the Grille and Side Grilles etc. it COULD be a '60 that was available with a V8, I see it was a Flight-O-Matic but no rear view to see the VI or VIII.

The White Dash Knobs tells me this is a 1960, with '59 Front Fenders.

Does the Body Tag say: 59S or '60S or '60V?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It says 59S, It says IV on the trunk. It has a 3sp manual with floor shft, automatic column shifter with quadrant (unattached), a clutch and what appears to be an automatic brake pedal and a Hawk emblem on the grill. Very strange.

Name:	DSCN1209.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1709495Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1208.jpg
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	1709498
          Last edited by mapman; 10-15-2016, 07:50 PM. Reason: add photo

Comment

It's got a '59 Regal Grille Moulding and a '59 Grille (with correct Hawk Emblem) and Side Grilles.
            So if the Serial Number Plate and Frame Serial (not likely readable) show a '59S then that's what it is with the Column, Dash, Side Mouldings from a '60 Automatic.

A typical Stude. owner with Multiple Parts Cars, must have owned it.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What are the differences between 59 an 60 Lark side trim ? Always thot they were the same.
              NEIL G.

Comment

'60 rear 1/4 moulding has a smooth curve under the rear 1/4 glass,'59 has a sharp pointy curve.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
                  It says 59S, It says IV on the trunk. It has a 3sp manual with floor shft, automatic column shifter with quadrant (unattached), a clutch and what appears to be an automatic brake pedal and a Hawk emblem on the grill. Very strange.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]59106[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]59109[/ATTACH]
                  I didn't realize Studebaker ever offered a four cylinder motor.

Looks like a solid basis for restoration.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    I didn't realize Studebaker ever offered a four cylinder motor.

Looks like a solid basis for restoration.
                    Must be dyslexia

Comment

Hi mapman,
                      Please forward the actual VIN # as I'm collating a '59 Lark Registry and only have 14 registered so far.
                      Thanks, Bill

Comment

59S14530
                        I believe I already submitted this one.
                        Rob

Comment

I checked the engine number today and it appears to be 526695 which, if I'm reading the chart correctly, is from a '50 champion.
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
                            What are the differences between 59 an 60 Lark side trim ? Always thot they were the same.
                            Other than the obvious Curved shape, the main difference is that the '60 Moulding is ONE piece, and the '59 is Two.

Originally posted by mapman View Post
                            I checked the engine number today and it appears to be 526695 which, if I'm reading the chart correctly, is from a '50 champion.
                            Rob
                            That appears to be just a casting Number NOT a Serial Number, they seldom ever changed unless a major change to the Mold was made. I don't think it says 1950.
                            StudeRich
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Name:	DSCN1220.jpg
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1709504this is the number stamped just behind the generator bracket on the left front of the engine. I did get the last digit wrong. Where should I look?

Comment

Working...
                              X