Hood Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hood Insulation

When I got my Sky Hawk, the Stock hood had suffered the dreaded hood-over-the-windshield damage...beyond repair. However, it also came with an NOS (from Hamilton) '57 style hood. I know it's NOT the correct hood, but I'm going to have to use it anyway...the budget won't allow a '56 only, hood/Shipping. Other than the fiberglass mat insulation, what else have any of you used...successfully... for sound deadening insulation, under the hood?

Tony, have you thought about "transplanting" the center section of your damaged '56 Hawk hood (scoop area) to your undamaged '57 & up hood? There is a guy here in FL that does a great job of doing exactly that. PM me if you want his contact info.

Also FWIW: S.I. in their South Bend warehouse still has a VERY FEW of the original NOS hood insulation available.

Comment

How would that work? wouldn't it still have the raised area down the center of the hood?

Comment

The hood has been "recycled"...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
          The hood has been "recycled"...
          Maybe the Chinese will use it as a template for an upcoming SUV!!!

Comment

I am replacing the hood insulation blanket on my 63 Avanti. It is the fiberglass batting type and is a full blanket. The blanket is dirty and coming apart. I am replacing it with an insulating material used to wrap water heaters. It is a mylar faced material with honey-coned center. The material has a silver finish, but I am painting the engine side with black lacquer for a better appearance. I did this on another car and it worked well and looked nice. I'll post some photos when the job is finished.

(o[]o)

Comment

Avanti Hood Pad Replacement

Here are photos of the hood pad replacement on my 63 Avanti. I am pleased with the results, it will add some insulation and sound deadening. In addition it will be easy to clean. I think it is better looking than the old batted fiberglass. I was able to get the old pad off in one piece and used it as a pattern. I cut the area above the air cleaner bigger than the original pad's hole so the whole housing would in.

(o[]o)
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X