Slow learner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow learner

This Avanti has now been listed five times with the same opening bid. I even e-mailed him a link to a similar car that sold for a third of that figure, and got a very terse reply that he knew what the car was worth, and no one would "steal it" Ebay is now $200 richer in fees, maybe five times will be a charm.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Like the guy that tells me what is his house is worth and is still on the market 18 months later. He has got some real junk around it. Make sure you don't try to start on site.

Comment

Like the guy that tells me what is his house is worth and is still on the market 18 months later. He has got some real junk around it. Make sure you don't try to start on site.

Comment

I think he's equating this to the MoPar stuff he's been getting big bucks for- $1595 for ONE MoPar medallion, not even mint condition! Sold with ONE bid[:0] (if it's legit)... Take a look:

My guess is he thinks an r2 Avanti is equivalent in value to a Hemi 'Cuda.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I think he's equating this to the MoPar stuff he's been getting big bucks for- $1595 for ONE MoPar medallion, not even mint condition! Sold with ONE bid[:0] (if it's legit)... Take a look:

My guess is he thinks an r2 Avanti is equivalent in value to a Hemi 'Cuda.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
          Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

JP,

After seeing this car listed multiple times about 6 months ago, I made a similar post. I commented on the fact the car was in the weeds, had no description and that the other pictures (now apparently missing) showed it needed substantial work. Since I have no idea what I titled the post, trying to find the thread would probably be futile. However, I seem to recall someone responded he was a big time MOPAR guy and was used to his cars bringing that type of money.

Gary

Comment

JP,

After seeing this car listed multiple times about 6 months ago, I made a similar post. I commented on the fact the car was in the weeds, had no description and that the other pictures (now apparently missing) showed it needed substantial work. Since I have no idea what I titled the post, trying to find the thread would probably be futile. However, I seem to recall someone responded he was a big time MOPAR guy and was used to his cars bringing that type of money.

Gary

Comment

Other than the Avanti, are the prices he is asking really in tune with real world pricing on MOPAR stuff?

With his nearly $2000 emblem, and the Packard emblem at $1100 we need to re-think pricing. We are looking at some serious priced items in a market that by all reports in the media is depressed.

Is this a reality check?

Comment

Other than the Avanti, are the prices he is asking really in tune with real world pricing on MOPAR stuff?

With his nearly $2000 emblem, and the Packard emblem at $1100 we need to re-think pricing. We are looking at some serious priced items in a market that by all reports in the media is depressed.

Is this a reality check?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
                    ...in a market that by all reports in the media is depressed.
                    Can you point to any of those media reports, Bill. I don't see the market as depressed and I haven't seen anything in the automotive press to that effect.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
                      ...in a market that by all reports in the media is depressed.
                      Can you point to any of those media reports, Bill. I don't see the market as depressed and I haven't seen anything in the automotive press to that effect.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

The weird thing about sellers like this guy is that they often would just as soon throw the car away if no one will pay "what it is worth". In other words they are unreasonable at the extreme ends and might take it as a personal indictment that the car will only get out alive if you meet their ransom.

They say you can never really pay "too much" for a car - but that you can buy it too early He is right: eventually that rotted hulk will be worth his price. Of course, by then that might be the average man's weekly wage!

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                        Packrat junk collector
                        '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

The weird thing about sellers like this guy is that they often would just as soon throw the car away if no one will pay "what it is worth". In other words they are unreasonable at the extreme ends and might take it as a personal indictment that the car will only get out alive if you meet their ransom.

They say you can never really pay "too much" for a car - but that you can buy it too early He is right: eventually that rotted hulk will be worth his price. Of course, by then that might be the average man's weekly wage!

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                          Packrat junk collector
                          '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

Maybe the guy figures that he will eventually "catch" someone who thinks they are getting a bargain, & figures they can get it painted(etc.) cheap, cobble it togther & have a valuable collector car. There are those individuals out there who aren't nearly as discriminating and knowledgeable as the people you typically find on this forum! The seller MAY eventually find that the EBay fees were well spent. Maybe he will meet a potential buyer who will manage to haggle on the price, after the listing expires. Who really knows? Not saying it is right(or wrong), just giving a plausible scenario for the way it could play out.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

Maybe the guy figures that he will eventually "catch" someone who thinks they are getting a bargain, & figures they can get it painted(etc.) cheap, cobble it togther & have a valuable collector car. There are those individuals out there who aren't nearly as discriminating and knowledgeable as the people you typically find on this forum! The seller MAY eventually find that the EBay fees were well spent. Maybe he will meet a potential buyer who will manage to haggle on the price, after the listing expires. Who really knows? Not saying it is right(or wrong), just giving a plausible scenario for the way it could play out.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X