1960 Mr. Ed Promo Piece for Studebaker dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Mr. Ed Promo Piece for Studebaker dealers

From Duane Miller comes this unusual promotional piece intended to "sell" Studebaker dealers on the new, up-coming Mr. Ed TV show Studebaker will sponsor. It's 37 minutes long.

The format is this: First, a TV advertising executive-type explains to dealers how important prime-time television has become in the United States by the late 1950s. He then introduces a pilot show explaining the Mr. Ed concept. Connie Hines and Alan Young are not in the pilot show; their ultimate parts having been played by other actors. Then, at the end of the pilot show, George Burns comes on to recap what has been shown and introduce the two actors who have been signed to play the "people" parts; Alan Young and Connie Hines. Alan then introduces Mr. Ed. A 1960 Lark wagon and 1960 Lark convertible provide the backdrop for that part of the video.

This must be a rare clip. 1960 (not 1961 or later) Studebaker advertisements are sprinkled about to show dealers how Studebaker advertising will appear on the show. When the credits roll at the end of the pilot show, they are superimposed over a 1960 Hawk being driven at speed. That's the first time I've seen a Hawk in such a promotion!

Thanks, Duane...and happy watching for all :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Mr. Palmer thanks for posting. It was fun to view and Mr. Ed sold me on the Lark! Loved the commercials, too.

Comment

Great fun! Thanks.

Comment

How interesting! Wilber Pope became Post and changed profession from lawyer to architect, and Carlotta Pope became Carol Post. That was a beautiful show.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

That was really COOL!

I have seen a clip before of the Pilot show with the "Pope's", but never the whole thing that I remember.

I can certainly say that they made excellent choices for the Permanent Actors and Actresses!

The real deal was SO much better. I could not stop watching. Another really good segment came up after the First of the Series, it had me rolling on the floor laughing!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

For anyone interested in the Mr. Ed show I recommend the book 'Mr. Ed and Me'. Some personal history of co-author Alan Young, but mostly centers on Ed and the show.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I bought a vhs copy of the pilot a few years back off eBay. Maybe the SNM sells it too. They have a lot of DVDs.
              Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 10-11-2016, 09:22 AM.

Comment

The concept for Mr Ed came from a short story (Ed Signs the Pledge) written by Walter R Brooks who is most known for his "Freddy the Pig" series of children's book written from 1928 till his death in 1958. I would love to read that original story. Does anyone know where to find it?
                Last edited by Sdude; 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM.
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Well duh..... Why not look it up on the internet? I did that and discovered that there were a large series of Mr Ed stories written by Walter Brooks for several magazines. Unfortunately I could not find a compilation of all of them but there was a book published after the success of the TV series that put together about 8 of the stories. Apparently the original characters had to be toned down a bit for television but that should make for even more interesting reading. From what I read, the original Wilbur was a bit of a drunkard.

So I went to the Amazon web site and found a copy of that book (The Original Mr Ed) but it was a little too pricey for my curiosity. I checked eBay and found it (in a little less pristine condition) for 8 bucks with free shipping, buy it now price. It's on it's way to my mailbox now.

As much as I hate today's technology, at times like this I love it. I can't wait to read it.
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

One of my favourites growing up. Thanks for posting it!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

One small side benefit of watching this video- 1959-60 white sidewall width authenticity is firmly established.
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Found this site that tells the tale about the Mr. Ed television series including the Studebaker connection. I found it quite interesting and it answered many questions I had about the show over the years.

The first fantasy television series of the Sixties was a situation comedy with a most unusual premise. Quite simply, the star of the show ...
                        sigpic
                        55 President Deluxe
                        64 Commander
                        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Working...
                        X