Studebaker cafeteria china

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker cafeteria china

I'm looking for photos of the china used in the Studebaker cafeterias in the early 1900-1930 period. There seem to have been some plates with the script logo in black with two rings on the rim. The early china, perhaps from a Studebaker mansion, may have had dark green script with pink/red outlines. Those are the ones I really want to see. Anyone have photos? I've seen the china with the red ball logo, too, but that's not what I'm after, nor the ones with the green script and chain-design rim.

Steve Grant (Madd Doodler) had some smaller trophy plates made about 1999 or so for an upstate NY meet. I think those had the pattern and colors I'm looking for. Someone from the Ohio area had reproduction dinnerware made about that date or earlier. Those would also have the pattern. Who has some of that china?

My wife would dearly like to have 6-8 complete place settings, but I suspect that much original china would be very "dear".
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

I have seen some in the past on eBay....
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Here are some. Have a few others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2455 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1709408
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

This might be a worthwhile project to reproduce a basic serving set of eight...

Comment

Gary,

Is this what Jane is looking for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161008_184343.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1709409

I don't think Judy will let it go though, it's the only piece of this pattern she has.

JS
          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Jim:

Yes, that's the style of plate I had in mind. Do you know what years it was used and where, i.e. the cafeteria or mansion?

So, who wants 4 to 8 place settings of 10.5" dinner plate, 6.5" salad/bread plate, soup bowl, coffee cup/mug? This is not for CASO's, as the up-front costs are steep.
            Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Gary, here are 3 more examples which I believe to be from the Cafateria. A celery dish, a milk container plus a demi-tasse coffee cup. I also have a pickle fork with Tippecanoe on the handle from the mansion itself. Good luck with the intended project & I look forward to the finished project here in the future. haveClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC03107.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1709410

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
              MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Here are some. Have a few others.
                Okay, Richard -- I'll expose my lack of exposure to high culture and fine living: what are the cups with two handles called and/or used for?
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                  Okay, Richard -- I'll expose my lack of exposure to high culture and fine living: what are the cups with two handles called and/or used for?
                  Aren't they condiment bowls?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    I have heard them referred to as bouillon cups. I guess you were less likely to spill the broth if you used both hands! Must have been quite a sight seeing both pinkies raised! <G>

Comment

Yes, Hawk64, those are the right design (post #7). The serving dish is interesting.

Do any of those various pieces have numbers on the bottom side that could be date codes? What company made them?

I've been learning that the logo gets applied using a decal that gets baked on at high temperature. The rings get painted on by some type of simple machine. Most of the red pigments previously used for china decoration are no longer considered "food safe", but there must be a few that can be used today.

Now I just need to find 20-30 guys and gals crazy enough to want multiple place settings. Getting them made is easy enough when a gross (144 pieces) is ordered, but they won't accept orders for just a few pieces. But, what fine Studebaker home can be considered complete without a full set of Studebaker china!
                      Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                        Jim:

Yes, that's the style of plate I had in mind. Do you know what years it was used and where, i.e. the cafeteria or mansion?

So, who wants 4 to 8 place settings of 10.5" dinner plate, 6.5" salad/bread plate, soup bowl, coffee cup/mug? This is not for CASO's, as the up-front costs are steep.
                        Sorry Gary,

My CRS (can't remember sh**) is getting worse. Don't know anything about the china. We think it was one of those "look what I brought you Honey" make up gifts from one of my swap meet road trips from years ago????
                        I beg to differ with Jim Q. abut it being from the cafeteria rather than a mansion. It's hard to fathom that they would use pieces like Jim's in a cafeteria setting, but maybe? Was there a cafeteria in the Administration Building?
                        This piece we have in the photo measures 8.25".
                        Judy also has a couple pieces of the Red Ball logo stuff, that we do believe are from the cafeteria.
                        Curious to know what reproductions will cost.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                          Was there a cafeteria in the Administration Building?
                          It was no mere 'cafeteria'!

It was the 'Executive Dining Room' as per the color photo on page 35 in the March, 2012 Turning Wheels.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            It was no mere 'cafeteria'!

It was the 'Executive Dining Room' as per the color photo on page 35 in the March, 2012 Turning Wheels.

Craig
                            Oh yeah! See, I told you, "CRS". Thanks Craig!

JS

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                              Yes, Hawk64, those are the right design (post #7). The serving dish is interesting.

Do any of those various pieces have numbers on the bottom side that could be date codes? What company made them?

I've been learning that the logo gets applied using a decal that gets baked on at high temperature. The rings get painted on by some type of simple machine. Most of the red pigments previously used for china decoration are no longer considered "food safe", but there must be a few that can be used today.

Now I just need to find 20-30 guys and gals crazy enough to want multiple place settings. Getting them made is easy enough when a gross (144 pieces) is ordered, but they won't accept orders for just a few pieces. But, what fine Studebaker home can be considered complete without a full set of Studebaker china!
                              Gary,
                              The celery dish has O.P.CO. SYRACUSE CHINA 49 whilst my soup bowl (NOT ILLUSTRATED) has the same title with D3 both on the bottom. The demi tasse cup has "49 on the bottom.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                              MELBOURNE.

Comment

Working...
                              X