Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can We Once and For All Get Past The Myth That Studebaker Went Out of Business?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can We Once and For All Get Past The Myth That Studebaker Went Out of Business?

I find it disturbing that so many SDC members perpetuate the myth that Studebaker went out of business in interactions with the public including local media. Is it by design or ignorance?

Studebaker never went out of business. It simply shut down its money losing automotive division in March of 1966 to focus on more profitable businesses in its portfolio that it acquired over the years like Gravely lawn mowers, Paxton auto accessories, Clarke janitorial floor equipment, and more. Management's obligation was to its shareholders.

In 1966 Studebaker merged with Wagner Electric and eventually became the Studebaker Worthington Corporation, a holding company with with $1 billion in annual revenue based in New York City. Studebaker Worthington was acquired in 1978 by McGraw Edison which finally snuffed out the Studebaker name and corporate entity going back to the original Studebaker brothers.
    Last edited by TomB; 10-06-2016, 04:21 PM.

I brought somewhat the same topic up on Sept 23. It morphed into stock values, so good luck. Some of the members are quite stubborn with their habits.

Comment

Jeeze! I thought everybody knew this. What's up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
        <snip>Studebaker never went out of business.
        Of course they are still in business! Why else would they have Trademarked (registered) the STUDEBAKER name on September 5, 2013, for the expressed purpose of "Vehicles, namely automobiles..." ???

Check it all out here: https://trademarks.justia.com/791/42...-79142036.html

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post
          Of course they are still in business! Why else would they have Trademarked (registered) the STUDEBAKER name on September 5, 2013, for the expressed purpose of "Vehicles, namely automobiles..." ???

Certainly sounds like the person who has been trying to get Studebaker going again with cars, bicycles, etc. He's been at it for some years now without any success.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Somewhere...perhaps in an alternate universe...is an entire secret society of "Everybody's Uncles"...who still have their Studebakers.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
              Certainly sounds like the person who has been trying to get Studebaker going again with cars, bicycles, etc. He's been at it for some years now without any success.

Stu Chapman
              Yes. There were several long threads on this individual, his attempts to go into the vehicle business, and his registration of the Studebaker name for vehicle purposes. There were also several threads that discussed some of the other firms that have registered the Studebaker name for other purposes, such as cigars and refrigerators. I think I posted some links to the USPTO files, though those would not be up to date any more.

I believe Studebaker Corp declined to renew its registration of its name for the vehicle business in 1967.
              Last edited by Skip Lackie; 10-06-2016, 04:38 AM.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

If they are not outta business, where can I buy a 2016, or even a 1967 Studebaker?

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post

There is no corporate link to the original Studebaker. The name simply lapsed in terms of trademark protection and someone acquired the rights to it. The DNA of Studebaker Worthington went to McGraw Edison which acquired it, then onto Cooper Industries and finally with Federal Mogul through various acquisitions.

Comment

Are you being facetious?

Per my original post-please read again-Studebaker discontinued production of automobiles in 1966 but continued on with other businesses that it had acquired over the previous several years. The reason you cannot buy a 1967 Studebaker is because they stopped building cars the prior year.

Comment

Working...
                    X