Timing gear marks on R2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Timing gear marks on R2.

Has anyone seen cam timing gear marks not in the correct location. I set the motor up to tdc to pull the cam and this is how it is set. I know it's wrong.
    Attached Files
    1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
    Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Are you sure you are really at TDC or using the damper and cover marks? They look correct, as there is no way to move the gears in relation to the crank or cam ( unless special keys and off set bolts being used) I'd recheck for true TDC with dial indicator on the piston top rocking back and forth to get exact TDC. It is possible that both gears were machined wrong, if they are replacements for the OEM originals. There was a thread about bad gears being sold in the past, others will chime in on them and will know if these are them. Post another photo or two showing the rest of the gears and markings, that may help some.

Comment

what is funny is I just noticed there is 2 crank gear dots, I didnt see them when I physically looked at them, but noticed it in the photo, I just ran and double checked it, wiped the gear and tilted my head and I can see the other dot. my bad , and bad eyes at that.
      1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.

Comment

So you ARE putting the One Cam Gear Dot BETWEEN the Two Dots on the Crank Gear then? I Hope!

It is a good thing you are double checking the TDC, because just a couple weeks ago a Poster discovered an Original NOS Aluminum H.D. Cam gear like yours, that was Mis-Marked, and WAY off!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, his picture shows cam dot between the two crank dots.

Comment

yes. i will be degreeing the cam and making sure its ok. A simple regasket job is turning out to being a nightmare on something that has 500 miles. improperly torqued clinch bolt and a damaged piston skirt . I am thinking or going larger than the .030 over if it can take it,.

Comment

Working...
            X