Gas filling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas filling

I'm new to this forum. I hope a bunch of you know this. How do you fill a 52 Land Cruiser without getting gas all over the side of the car and pants? I have tried various filler positions etc. and end up just doing small hits after another. TX

Never had that problem with my '52.....
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Tom! South Bend is a good place to be ...from!

Comment

Sounds like you have a vent problem.

Comment

I have had gas splash out when filling my '54 if not careful. I listen as I fill, and when I hear a "gurgling" sound slow the pump way down. If I keep it squeezed all the way waiting for the automatic shut off it will splash out.
          Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

It has also never been a problem with my '51 or '53. These tanks are not vented. My guess is, perhaps at some point the rubber filler neck hose has been replaced with one that does not have the slight bend that is necessary to keep the hose from kinking. The correct hose is available from Studebaker vendors. A straight piece of fuel hose will kink itself at least two-thirds closed when you try to fit it from the tank to the neck. I can't imagine any other issue.
            Go over to Studebaker International in the Studebaker Business Center on Chippewa Ave. and pick one up.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I just cleaned and reinstalled the original tank in my 1950 Champion, but it has also always splashed out if I don't listen and slow the nozzle way down.
              No kinks in my rubber connector fill hose.

Comment

My '55 has the wrong tank, don't know what Stude it's out of, but there is a dog-leg in the rubber connector. I have to listen carefully for the gurgling to stop, then I watch until I can see the gas itself in the fill tube. If I forget, I get a pint of gas on the ground every time.

Comment

"every" Studebaker vehicle I've owned will splash out of the filler neck if anything but "slow" speed filling. Be patient...

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I will see if I can find what shape the filler hose is in. It could be that as it happens as soon as I start to fill. No time to listen for gurgling.

Comment

The filler hose may be soft and collapsed from the new gas.
                      I've replaced 3 hoses that were more sponge than rubber.
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                        "every" Studebaker vehicle I've owned will splash out of the filler neck if anything but "slow" speed filling. Be patient...
                        Especially Larks with the entry on the rear filler panel. Ask me how I know.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X