Avanti Back-Up Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Avanti Back-Up Lights

My '64 Avanti Backup lights don't work. The fuse is good and so are the bulbs. What else is there to check? Is there a troublesome ground point to look out for?

There is a switch on the shift linkage of both Automatic and Standard shift. The switch is on when the car is in reverse. On Automatics there is also a lock out switch on the shift linkage. Both are accessible from under the car.
    Ron

Comment

I would go in the same direction as Ron did. I found that the most common problem area with Avanti back up lights is with the switch being bad or, more often, the switch is out of adjustment.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with the switch, but you can access it from inside the car. Remove the knob on the shifter, remove the console cover screws and lift over the shifter. Two separate switches there, neutral safety, and Bu light. Check the wires, if necessary you can remove the shifter assembly screws to the car, disconnect the shift rod from the shifter, and lift it from the car. There should be a small link rod from the shifter to the switch, and the switch can be rotated on the bracket. The switch is available from vendors-the link rod is not (I had to make a new one from welding rod). Pull the connector, jump across the contacts and verify they come on before buying a switch.

Comment

On any old vehicle, doubly so on glass vehicles... always start with ground.

Comment

I saved your response, Karterfred, and printed it out. Thanks! I was going to do as you suggested, but couldn't remove the knob on the shifter. Is there a set screw to loosen it so it can be removed?

Comment

You don't need to remove the knob. The upholstered console plate will slip right up and off the shifter. The chrome part, and indicator stay they are not part of the console cover.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Johnson View Post
                I saved your response, Karterfred, and printed it out. Thanks! I was going to do as you suggested, but couldn't remove the knob on the shifter. Is there a set screw to loosen it so it can be removed?
                No-just brute force on a slippery knob spinning it counter clockwise it's threaded to the shaft, the black button will pop up, so be careful not to loose it. Maybe try one of those "rubber band grip wrenches" made out of plastic so you don't gouge the chrome with a pliers. Yes you can get the cover off the console and have room to reach the switches. I like to remove the whole assembly, set the switches with a test light, put it back in--avoids trying to reach the adjusting screws once back down in the console. Everyone to their own-some insist on putting the car on a lift and doing it from under the car. It's also a good time to check the rod to shifter grommet-probably hard as a rock and split, after replacing it you may need to adjust the rod so the detents match the selector and you still have full range of the lever. Have fun!!

Comment

Why would he need to remove the knob? I don't get it.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    Why would he need to remove the knob? I don't get it.
                    I guess you're right, I had to disassemble the shifter to fix the broken/binding spring in the button and to re-solder the indicator lamp bulb socket, put connectors on the cut off wires to the BU and NS switches so it was easier to work with it totally taken apart and out of the car. Besides it gave me a chance to de-rust the mechanism and paint it. I forget that not every Avanti is in as bad a condition as mine.

Comment

Working...
                    X