Crash testing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash testing???

Did Studebaker do crash testing from 1950 onward? As bad a shape as they were in the last 10 years I wouldn't think they would want to spend money. How well do Studebaker's stand up in crash testing, on the proving ground and in the real wrold?
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Probably just as well as ANY 1950's or 1960's Cars do with Body on Frame construction.

I do not remember anyone bothering with that nonsense in those days. In those Days, you did not Sue a Co. because someone was critically injured or killed in their Car, you just blamed the most likely guilty Driver, a Car was a Car..., all the same.

Studebaker only did the "Roll Tests" in the 30's to prove their Steel Body was better than a Wood one, but no comparisons were done to other Brands of Steel bodies that I know of.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Only crash test was when they actually crashed.

Comment

Here's the 54 they crashed to test the door latch

Comment

The above car: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...t-then-and-now.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post

Well, that was a waste of a nice Land Cruiser. To test door latches all they had to do was park the car on the streets of Chicago or New York City. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              Well, that was a waste of a nice Land Cruiser. To test door latches all they had to do was park the car on the streets of Chicago or New York City. LOL
              Ouch.....That hurt, but at least the doors didn't pop.
              I find myself in the most defensive driving mode when I take my Studebaker on the road.
              What concerns me most is the "lookers" on the freeways trying to take pictures...........

Comment

That's a respectable result for that era I would think...

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                  Did Studebaker do crash testing from 1950 onward? As bad a shape as they were in the last 10 years I wouldn't think they would want to spend money. How well do Studebaker's stand up in crash testing, on the proving ground and in the real wrold?
                  Of course many of us do remember that very sad day in South Bend, September 2, 1960. Our South Bend Mayor Voorde was killed when he lost control of the 1960 Lark convertible provided him by Studebaker.*

As a person who was in the know back then related to me years later; Studebaker retrieved their Lark convertible and a very short time later Engineering released for production "weights" to be added behind Lark Convertible front bumpers.

*Source: South Bend Tribune front page photographs and articles September 2nd and 3rd, 1960 editions.

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post
                    Of course many of us do remember that very sad day in South Bend, September 2, 1960. Our South Bend Mayor Voorde was killed when he lost control of the 1960 Lark convertible provided him by Studebaker.*

As a person who was in the know back then related to me years later; Studebaker retrieved their Lark convertible and a very short time later Engineering released for production "weights" to be added behind Lark Convertible front bumpers.

*Source: South Bend Tribune front page photographs and articles September 2nd and 3rd, 1960 editions.
                    The timing of this (weights) seems strange to me. By September 1960, the 1961 models would be coming out. Every 1960 convertible that I have owned or worked on had the harmonic balance weights. Does this mean that they were all retrofitted with the weights and that none of them originally came with the weights? I find this hard to believe. I guess that a check of the parts book that came out for the 1960 chassis parts would show if these weights were included from the beginning of production.
                    For 1961 models, only the Regal dual headlight front panels were available with the provision for the weights because 1961 convertibles only came in Regal trim.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      The timing of this (weights) seems strange to me. By September 1960, the 1961 models would be coming out. Every 1960 convertible that I have owned or worked on had the harmonic balance weights. Does this mean that they were all retrofitted with the weights and that none of them originally came with the weights? I find this hard to believe. I guess that a check of the parts book that came out for the 1960 chassis parts would show if these weights were included from the beginning of production.
                      For 1961 models, only the Regal dual headlight front panels were available with the provision for the weights because 1961 convertibles only came in Regal trim.
                      Gary, see what you can find out by getting your hands on Studebaker Service Bulletin 358, issued in Oct. 1960

Comment

I'd bet Mercedes did crash testing in the fifties.

My 62 fintail had crumple zones, was designed for the engine to go under the passenger compartment in a crash, had a padded steering column, and the switches on the dash were designed so they would not cut you up in a crash.

The door latches were so excellent they were used for many years in Avantis and some other high end cars such as Ferraris.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I'm sure using a car with bumper guards threw the test in favor of the latches.

Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                            I'd bet Mercedes did crash testing in the fifties.
                            I believe Volvo did as well. They credit themselves as being the first production car to have three-point seat & shoulder belts available from back then.

Craig

Comment

l always thot that the "center-point" steering in post-war Studes was a safety feature since the steering box was located back, even a little rearward of the front axle, thereby making a big front deflection necessary before the streeing column would be pushed into the driver. Check out some other vehicles, like a Rambler American (and Corvair?) where the steering box is only a short distance behind the front bumper - and the column is one piece before there was legislation.

The construction at the rear of Studes where the gas tank is separate, under the trunk floor and where there is a rear inner and an outer fender must be a lot better than a Falcon (and other small Fords?) where the gas tank top is the trunk floor, and other cars, where the outer rear quarter panels are the only rear side panels.

Stude also had the superior rotary door latches (1936 or 37) long before many other manufacturers who still had just "house door type" latches with a locating slot to help a bit (no wonder that really poor type popped open a lot) .

On the other hand, '47-'49 Champions and early Larks don't seem to have much frontal "crush'' space.

All this is a good discussion and brings up the question: WHICH STUDEBAKER MIGHT BE THE SAFEST IN A CRASH?
                              Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                              61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                              Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                              Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Working...
                              X