"Frozen" Drain Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: "Frozen" Drain Plug

Any tips/ideas on how to break loose the drain plug on a Dana 44 differential (1956)? Breaker bar w/pipe didn't do it and neither did an air wrench. Fill Plug turned right out, but I want to drain out the old fluid before I refill it. Also, I found a tag under one of the cover bolts that has 47/12, in raised numerals, on it. What does this tag mean? Thanks, guys...

The 47/12 means you have 3.92 ratio gears, which are OK with overdrive transmissions but not OK with direct drives. As for the frozen drain plug, I'd just leave it alone and remove the cover, clean inside the pumpkin while at it, then replace the cover with new gasket and refill the oil. Many of the Dana 44s came without drain plugs, and the above procedure was the only choice anyway.

Comment

Ya know Joe, I've been fooling around with Ford 9" rears for so long, that it never occurred to me to pull the cover...DUH! After I Posted this, I went back out and slid underneath. Then it hit me like a Mack truck...DUMMY...pull the cover!!! Did that, cleaned it spotless, metal etch primed it, then painted it. It's really tough, getting old and loosing your marbles a few at a time. I only hope I get the Hawk done, before I'M done. Thanks, Joe...

Comment

I agree with JoeHall that you should remove the cover and clean the inside of the pumpkin. I did that on my '57 Golden Hawk, and found about a cup of congealed gear oil in there. Apparently, the gear oil had not been changed since new in 1957. If you have the "twin traction" rear end, as I do, don't forget to refill with gear oil specified for limited slip rear ends or get some special additive for Corvette and Jaguar rear ends.

Comment

Working...
        X