Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If money was no object, what would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If money was no object, what would you do?

My 63 Champ has a 64 Avanti 289 & 2 speed automatic. If I won any lottery I think I'd have an Avanti 4speed installed. Of course it sounds like a lot of work but the lottery winnings would take care of that too! Seems that there's a lot of power waiting to be unleashed under the hood. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?

Easy. I would purchase a large building or grounds with several buildings, equip it with all the best tools, hire competent instructors, and start a school to train young people classic car restoration. I know it has been done before but there can't be too many good schools for this in my opinion. Besides, I think it would be loads of fun. (Oh, and I would collect more Studebakers!).
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Buy a buttload of nice Studebakers and a place to keep them securely.... That's the 1st day...
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I'd consider changing to a five speed od if going to all the trouble of converting to manual on that Champ!
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Like Eddie but start building NEW Studebakers... ...with alu Hemi's!

Comment

What transmission is in your Champ? I didn't think Studebaker ever used a 2 speed auto?
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Swapping in a strong 700r4 would provide better off the line gearing and overdrive for relaxed high speed highway cruising.
              A good many blow far more yearly on losing lottery tickets than what this swap costs.

Comment

I'm with Ed. Start a vocational school at the high school level and run through the college level.

Growing up I was fortunate enough to go to Don Bosco Tech in Rosemead Ca. From the late 50's through the early 80's they had a really strong program that sent a lot of young men into industry, well grounded in the basics of their trade. As the 80's moved on, the school kinda lost its way and fewer parents really grasped the importance of this type of education. Along the lines of, "What good will this bring my little snow flake when he studies law etc.?". A comprehensive understanding of the world, that's what!

Sorry about the rant of a frustrated fabrication engineer.

As for your trans, I bet you have a 3 speed Powershift that starts in 2nd unless you select 1st. Don't run the 700 auto, stick with the 200, shift points better suited to the R1 engine, you'll get overdrive and they're pretty thick on the ground.

If you're a sick puppy like me, put in a 5 speed stick. Nothing better than running it through the gears without a lurch. Very satisfying!

Comment

I think I'd have an Avanti 4speed installed. Seems that there's a lot of power waiting to be unleashed under the hood. Hey, a guy can dream can't he?
                  FWIW, for better acceleration from a stop, try starting in 1st and manually shifting to 2nd. I've done it forever and it's become 'automatic' for me when driving a Powershift car. And BTW, on an R1 car, there's very little difference in power unleashed under the hood, as measured in 1/4-mile times, between a 4-speed and a Powershift, given the same rear axle ratio.

And yes X2 on converting to a 5-speed and corresponding rear axle ratio; it makes the most subjective, most-cost-effective difference of anything one can do to an Avanti; quicker acceleration and quieter cruising and better fuel economy.

Don't run the 700 auto, stick with the 200, shift points better suited to the R1 engine, you'll get overdrive and they're pretty thick on the ground.
                  Not in the Pacific Northwest, at least. A 200R4 core transmission is pretty much non-existent up here.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I understand that I have a Flight o matic from a 57 Commander. The previous owner said it has 2nd gear start. I think the real problem is I don't buy lottery tickets!

Comment

Just quit my job and spend the rest of my time fixing up the Studebakers that I already have.
                      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I'd but the nicest stock 56J money could buy, and the nicest modified 56J money could buy, maybe one of Mike Super's, if he'd sell. Oh, and have the old 62GT professionally restored to high standard, but with drive-ability in mind, would keep all the, "incorrect" stuff that makes it such a pleasure to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          FWIW, for better acceleration from a stop, try starting in 1st and manually shifting to 2nd. I've done it forever and it's become 'automatic' for me when driving a Powershift car. And BTW, on an R1 car, there's very little difference in power unleashed under the hood, as measured in 1/4-mile times, between a 4-speed and a Powershift, given the same rear axle ratio.

And yes X2 on converting to a 5-speed and corresponding rear axle ratio; it makes the most subjective, most-cost-effective difference of anything one can do to an Avanti; quicker acceleration and quieter cruising and better fuel economy.

Not in the Pacific Northwest, at least. A 200R4 core transmission is pretty much non-existent up here.

jack vines
                          Agreed. And, yes the 200R4's are just not lying around on the ground anymore. Even 5 years ago when I was trolling Pick Your Part here in So. Cal. there was roughly one 200R4 compared to twenty 700R4's I'd see. I'm sure you can find a 200R4 but it is probably stored on a builders shelf and likely you will be "charged" for it. One thing I've notice about some SDC forum posters is they talk about thinks from 20 years ago like it was yesterday. I don't mean that as an insult, but it is a noticeable observation I don't necessarily see on the other sites I frequent.

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                          I'm with Ed. Start a vocational school at the high school level and run through the college level.

Growing up I was fortunate enough to go to Don Bosco Tech in Rosemead Ca. From the late 50's through the early 80's they had a really strong program that sent a lot of young men into industry, well grounded in the basics of their trade.
                          I spent my formative years in San Gabriel from '67-'77. My mother and stepfather talked about sending me to Bosco but the funding just wasn't there. While my high school offered auto shop I migrated towards machine shop and welding because I was more interested in fabricating/modifying than repair. My understanding is that a lot of schools have closed shop programs and if you find them they now fall more under the "adult ed" category.

My question would be is there REALLY a demand for car restorers? How many of these kids have dreams of running their own custom shop and instead wind up doing brake jobs at Pep Boys - if they find a job at all. Even if today there is a backlog for car restoration I don't see it long term. I don't see Gen. X and up being enamored with the past when they have been programed to only look forward. And where will the plastic and oddball smog parts come from to legally keep "their" generation of cars on the road?

The world has become too precarious a place to chase dreams. I taught Television Production at a "dream factory" (community college). I'd start with 20 student and maybe 5 years later three would be employed in the industry. It is a field that has always been hard to get into. Yet tens of thousands of kids go to school for this field every year. The only thing I think that could be worse would be acting - and thousands of kids go to school for that too! So, while a restorer career might be something we wish we had done, schooling multitudes in the field might not be the wisest thing to do. As the muscle car and older generation die off (and the cars become fewer) I'm thinking the demand diminishes.
                          Last edited by wittsend; 09-28-2016, 11:20 AM.
                          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Money no object? Buy a large(20+ acres) piece of property in Eastern WA and a built '79 Ramcharger to wheel around the property in. Build up my wagon for daily driver use in the city. Pick up a 63' Impala SS to rotate it with. Invest heavily as well.
                            1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I like Eddie's idea too. However, priorities first: Bess and my trucks would get a frame-off restoration! Would love to see them looking as they did new! Then I'd love to get a commercial Transtar and set it up to tow my horse trailer.
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X