Moog CC655 coil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Moog CC655 coil springs

As some of you may know, the cargo coils that I have been recommending for over 20 years for the front of V8 Studebakers have now been discontinued. Moog used up the inventory and will not be reproducing them any longer. Their original application was for 86 - 93 front drive GM cars in the rear.
    I made some calls and found a few sets. Rare Parts 1-800-621-2005 has two sets left in stock. They are a different brand but the same spring.
    CC653 was intended for a little heavier GM car and it would work in Studebaker applications with high front weight. CC661 is a similar coil but a little shorter. It may need a spacer on top available from SI to work. If you find a retailer with dusty inventory, they still may have some CC655's out there.

Good luck searching

Jim
    james r pepper

Hard to believe but a a 93 is now almost considered for collector plates. Only needs a couple more years.

Comment

Just a little CASO comment on these springs. GM also offered variable rate spring as an option on the applicable cars mentioned above. Standard wound springs were the general offer. Since the Moog variable rate springs are "Cargo Carrier" they are of an increased spring rate over the stock rate in addition to a variable rate, and that increased rate aspect might be (and probably is) necessary for the V-8 Studebaker weight. However, for 6 cylinder cars and possibly those with Chevy V-8 engine trans swaps (my numbers show nearly a 200 pound drop for my 350 Chevy and a 700R4 swap) a set of the GM variable rate spring spring might work - and possibly better due to less weight.

So, if in the future these spring are not available and you desire a variable rate spring you could consider pulling a set from a wrecking yard for a non V-8 Studebaker engine application. I have a set, but I have yet to make time to install them. I believe they were around $15 out the door for the set at the now closed U - Pull Parts. (image of the GM Variable rate springs included).
      Attached Files
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

wittsend, Do you have the height of the 87 Le Sabre springs? My Avanti has a light front end (LS-3, aluminum transmission, no AC ... and battery in the trunk) and my stock SI springs make the front end too high ... but cutting one coil left not enough travel for the suspension. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Springstreet View Post
          wittsend, Do you have the height of the 87 Le Sabre springs? My Avanti has a light front end (LS-3, aluminum transmission, no AC ... and battery in the trunk) and my stock SI springs make the front end too high ... but cutting one coil left not enough travel for the suspension. Thanks.
          Here is the Moog Spring chart, it lists all the springs, with free length, installed height, coil diameters and load. You still need to be an expert to figure how they affect your specific vehicle, I tried finding something similar to the CC655 (still shows on the chart) by coil size, load, wire size, free length and installed height--but came away scratching my head--good luck!!
          classiccarsprings.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, classiccarsprings.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

To find the CC655, just hit control F while its open, enter CC655 and it will highlight the row with the specs.

Comment

Springstreet,

Go to this link and read posts #7 though post #11 Especially post #10. It will tell you a lot about the '87 Le Sabre springs (and the Moogs springs too). http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...pring-question

I failed to mention the free length of the '87 Le Sabre spring in any of the mentioned posts It is: 14.375 inches.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I have a complete set (front) on my 2R-5 Stude pickup if interested, Michigan e-mail kitch 771@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by poppy View Post
                I have a complete set (front) on my 2R-5 Stude pickup if interested, Michigan e-mail kitch 771@gmail.com
                You are using these Moog coil springs on the front of a Sthdebaker truck? Please post pictures of how you modified the truck for these coils.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I have a set of CC653 coming in the mail. How much stiffer will these be? I am thinking of an R2 Avanti with AC... Thanks

Comment

I just got a set of 655's through O'Reilly's Auto Parts today. They carry them under the brand name Precision Coil Springs.
                    part # SP08055. The box they came in was also marked GCC655. The instructions included in the box are from MOOG Suspension Parts.com.
                    Mike Kelly
                    Regional Manager
                    Texas
                    1963 Lark Cruiser
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Mrkelly View Post
                      I just got a set of 655's through O'Reilly's Auto Parts today. They carry them under the brand name Precision Coil Springs.
                      part # SP08055. The box they came in was also marked GCC655. The instructions included in the box are from MOOG Suspension Parts.com.
                      Thanks for the info.

My post #14 http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...me-it-aint-so-!! mentions those springs.

Len

Comment

Drove down to OREILLYS earlier tonight after reading Skybolts Post #14.
                        Ordered springs.
                        Computer said they were in stock in Phoenix.
                        I'll have to wait 2 days to find out if they arrive.
                        The NAPA site said they were out of stock.
                        Amazon shows 1 set left in stock.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

What I suspect happened here was that when Moog discontinued the cc655 spring Precision bought their remaining inventories and began marketing them under their label and part number.The box I got from O'Reilly's had a Precision sticker that completely covered another sticker underneath which I think was probably the original Moog sticker. Inside the sealed box along with the springs was a copy of the Moog installation instructions.
                          Mike Kelly
                          Regional Manager
                          Texas
                          1963 Lark Cruiser
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

Even though I still have one set of the Moog CC655 springs left, decided to try ordering a set from O'Reillys yesterday. Had an email this morning that they are ready for UPS pickup , so they must still have some left.
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

They came in. Precision sticker over a sticker. No brand name on the instructions.
                              I wonder if Precision will continue to manufacture the springs. Just a name change for Moog.
                              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                              X