Comparing a 1947 Studebaker to a Crosley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparing a 1947 Studebaker to a Crosley

I came across this nice little pickup today on ebay, and started wondering how much would a Studebaker pickup have cost in 1947, and just think about how much more vehicle the Studebaker would be for the money?

I have the original bill of sale (and original title) for my 1948 M-5. Total was $995 _including optional horn and heater.
    A LOT more vehicle. About enough metal to build 3 or 4 of those tin cans.

Comment

Hey now, I own both a Studebaker AND a Crosley.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bing 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1709236
      Dean Seavers
      Sacramento, CA

Comment

Gas in Europe is many times what we pay here. Hence vehicles need to be insanely good on mileage. The Crosley is one answer to that. Must admit though, people drive them like madmen and it's pretty frightening in London dealing with these road fleas. Anyway, considering the Petrol situation over there, the Crosley is a pretty good little car for the money. Not that I could comfortably drive one.
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

ROAD FLEAS!!!!
          laughed so hard nearly pissed my pants!

Comment

Now I've got this mental picture of a Semi-Truck sitting there like a dog trying to scratch off some Smart Cars..... Laughing till it Hurts!

Anybody good at Drawing? somebody draw this up, the next CARS movie needs it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
              Gas in Europe is many times what we pay here. Hence vehicles need to be insanely good on mileage. The Crosley is one answer to that. Must admit though, people drive them like madmen and it's pretty frightening in London dealing with these road fleas. Anyway, considering the Petrol situation over there, the Crosley is a pretty good little car for the money. Not that I could comfortably drive one.
              The Crosley was actually an American car, built in both Richmond, and Marion, Indiana. I doubt any were ever sold in the UK (or Europe, for that matter.) They had plenty of their own small cars and didn't need to import one over from the US. Powel Crosley was actually 6' 4" and he insisted that the design allowed him to be able to drive one with his hat on. That's why they are shaped like upright pianos. Getting in and out can be a challenge, but once you are in they are surprisingly roomy for what you are. The only requirements to drive one are to develop a good double clutching technique, and to have a good sense of humor.

Dean
              Last edited by voxnut; 09-23-2016, 10:24 AM.
              Dean Seavers
              Sacramento, CA

Comment

I used to own a Crosley station wagon back in the early 60's, nice little cars and good gas mileage. When I got out of School and got a good paying job, I dropped a 430 inch Lincoln in it. Only thing that gave it away was the Ford 9" that I didn't have the money or time to narrow had the wheels hanging out the sides.

Comment

Crosley was the first manufacturer to offer disc brakes--- they had something going on! My childhood buddy's dad bought him a "Hot Shot," we were almost killed in it several times. The last incident he rolled it on a dirt road doing about 45 miles an hour--- wasn't much left after that, had I been in the car, I probably wouldn't be writing this today, only reason he wasn't killed was because he was ejected immediately!
                  sigpic

Comment

Interchangeable front and rear fenders! How novel!
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

#4, as if anyone ever seen a Crosley in real life here in Europe...?
                      Maby in books about really-really strange cars or such.

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
                        Crosley was the first manufacturer to offer disc brakes--- they had something going on! My childhood buddy's dad bought him a "Hot Shot," we were almost killed in it several times. The last incident he rolled it on a dirt road doing about 45 miles an hour--- wasn't much left after that, had I been in the car, I probably wouldn't be writing this today, only reason he wasn't killed was because he was ejected immediately!
                        They were also the first manufacturer to build an all-steel station wagon! Glad you're here to tell the tale of routine Hotshot wrecks!
                        Dean Seavers
                        Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58646[/ATTACH]
                          My daddy had one just like that - almost. It was red and had a propeller on the front. Apparently it was not as good in the Minnesota snow as he wanted. The next two were a new 51 Ford woodie that only lasted a year, followed by a 52 Rambler station wagon.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                            I have the original bill of sale (and original title) for my 1948 M-5. Total was $995 _including optional horn and heater.
                            A LOT more vehicle. About enough metal to build 3 or 4 of those tin cans.
                            I'm surprised that the Studebaker pickup had such a low price in 1948, and even more surprised that it was even cheaper than the Crosley.

I've always wanted a Crosley, but not bad enough to pay today's prices.

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58646[/ATTACH]

Me, too! A '48 panel delivery in red and white.
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X