Studebaker Avanti R2 made the Chicago Sun Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti R2 made the Chicago Sun Times

We went to a McD's today. Well they had a paper on the table so I started flipping through it. In the Auto Times Section they had an article basically describing verrry large stocking stuffers for the car collector. I kinda looked through as usual to see anything "unusual" show up in the list. Well at the bottom of the page they had the '63 Studebaker Avanti R2 and a brief description. Without spoiling the article too much heres the online version:

Code:
    http://searchchicago.suntimes.com/autos/research/jedlicka/709559,CAR-News-Clas24.article
    My only comment was they lowballed the price a little on the Avanti, other than that, it was kinda neat seeing it on this wee list [^] [8D]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
    [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
    [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Seems about right to me for a #3 car. Heck, if you can buy a '63 Stingray coupe for $38k, you can surely buy an Avanti for $14k

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Seems about right to me for a #3 car. Heck, if you can buy a '63 Stingray coupe for $38k, you can surely buy an Avanti for $14k

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Nah Dick......they low balled the price. And the article says "in very good condition". Question: is a number three car in very good condition? I'm serious....is it? I would say a very good car is a number two. But this is always a debatable point.

wagone

Comment

Nah Dick......they low balled the price. And the article says "in very good condition". Question: is a number three car in very good condition? I'm serious....is it? I would say a very good car is a number two. But this is always a debatable point.

wagone

Comment

These prices [u]must</u> be for #3 cars.
            Only $38,000 for a 63 Corvette...or $14,000 for an R2...I know we're not talking about show cars here. (For the Corvette to be that price and in nice condition it would have to be a small block, strippo, non-numbers matching car. Which would be okay for me...but for a coupe, I'd like AC.)

I just saw the new Old Cars price giude...and $14,000 was for a #3 condition Avanti.
            If I recall correctly, $20,00 was for #2, and $28 for a #1.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

These prices [u]must</u> be for #3 cars.
              Only $38,000 for a 63 Corvette...or $14,000 for an R2...I know we're not talking about show cars here. (For the Corvette to be that price and in nice condition it would have to be a small block, strippo, non-numbers matching car. Which would be okay for me...but for a coupe, I'd like AC.)

I just saw the new Old Cars price giude...and $14,000 was for a #3 condition Avanti.
              If I recall correctly, $20,00 was for #2, and $28 for a #1.

63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

A "very good condition" car is a condition number 3. I would say that it looks like a three year old used car. It is what you see at most car shows.
                A condition number 2 is a car that would normally place as a First. Condition number 1 cars are very seldom seen in Studebaker circles. This is a car done completely to professional standards, not driven and stored in a climate controlled environment.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

A "very good condition" car is a condition number 3. I would say that it looks like a three year old used car. It is what you see at most car shows.
                  A condition number 2 is a car that would normally place as a First. Condition number 1 cars are very seldom seen in Studebaker circles. This is a car done completely to professional standards, not driven and stored in a climate controlled environment.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

A "very good condition" car is a condition number 3.
                    Correct...

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

A "very good condition" car is a condition number 3.
                      Correct...

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Many of you may know Dave Kinney and is a reknown auto appraiser. Dave publishes a quarterly guide for many makes of automobiles call "Cars That Matter'. he uses a scale of 4 condition ratings #4 (Fair), #3 (Good), #2 (Excellent) and #1 (Concourse). His explanation of each can be found at his website: www. carsthatmatter.com. He breaks down Avantis as follows:

63 R-1 #4 $13,000 #3 $ 17,800 #2 $24,900 and #1 $32,400
                        63 R-2 #$ $15,600 #3 $20,000 #2 $27,100 and #1 $38,800

He also has a different for 64's and adjusts for tranmissin types and factory A/C.

I know of a recent (last two weeks) 63 R-2 sale for an AACA Senior Award winner that exceeded the #2 price by over 10% so I guesss the Sun Times price is low.

BTW, Dave's book includes a lot of other Studebakers as well.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Many of you may know Dave Kinney and is a reknown auto appraiser. Dave publishes a quarterly guide for many makes of automobiles call "Cars That Matter'. he uses a scale of 4 condition ratings #4 (Fair), #3 (Good), #2 (Excellent) and #1 (Concourse). His explanation of each can be found at his website: www. carsthatmatter.com. He breaks down Avantis as follows:

He also has a different for 64's and adjusts for tranmissin types and factory A/C.

I know of a recent (last two weeks) 63 R-2 sale for an AACA Senior Award winner that exceeded the #2 price by over 10% so I guesss the Sun Times price is low.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

I wonder if Dave might have a tiny bit of Avanti bias as he is a long-time Avanti owner/collector.
                            I have bought a three Avantis from him over the years and I was in his garage a couple years ago when I delivered my sold '64 R-2 to him to hold for its new owner. He has some impressive cars (three in his Great Falls, Virginia garage and other Avantis elsewhere in the country) plus some impressive parts (like several sets of Halibrands). NONE ARE FOR SALE!

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                            '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                            '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                            Museum R-4 engine
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Avantidon

I wonder if Dave might have a tiny bit of Avanti bias as he is a long-time Avanti owner/collector.
                              I have bought a three Avantis from him over the years and I was in his garage a couple years ago when I delivered my sold '64 R-2 to him to hold for its new owner. He has some impressive cars (three in his Great Falls, Virginia garage and other Avantis elsewhere in the country) plus some impressive parts (like several sets of Halibrands). NONE ARE FOR SALE!

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                              Museum R-4 engine
                              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                              X