Lark Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Pics

Finally got the fuel system rebuilt on the Lark and fired it up today. This is only the second time I have heard the engine run. When I bought it, we pushed it on the trailer and then pushed it into the garage. I had to drop the gas tank and replace all the fuel lines front to back. Cleaned up the tank and painted it, got the new lines installed and everything is good to go. The little 259 fired right up and runs fairly well. The Stromberg needs a rebuild, but it will run and idle (a little rough). This was the first time in 10+ years the car moved under its own power. I pulled it out of the garage to let it come up to temperature and take these pictures. Big day in the quest to put this little sled back on the road. Brakes are the next big hurdle. Everything needs rebuilt, or replaced. The big decision becomes to keep it stock, or put the disc brakes on the front. I am not going to do much more to it this year, I will put it in storage until the spring (wife wants the garage back to park the minivan during the winter..). Very excited to get to this point. My enthusiasm is at an all time high for this project.
    Attached Files
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -B Franklin

Sounds like you are making great progress! The winter months ar ESP long whenwaiting on getting back to the project, but the excitement is still there. Looks like you have a great project to work on.

Mark

Comment

lookin' good!

i'd go ahead with the front discs - it's more of a safety issue than a "mod".
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Nice little Hardtop Craig!

Please note that it IS a "1961 Studebaker Lark VIII, Regal, 2 Door Hardtop though" AKA: 61V-J6, I noticed your profile says a '60 Lark.

These are very nice driving Cars with full 6 Passenger room inside, and Compact easily maneuverable size outside, that you can actually SEE all four corners of, for easy Parking, driving in tight areas and Safety on Interstates & Highways.

Unlike ANY New (Blind) Car!

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum!

Click image for larger version

Name:	612drHT_Skytop.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1709170 Here is a Nice example of a '61 Hardtop with the Rare first Year, "Skytop" Option.

It has the Optional "Lark" Bird, Hood Ornament and some '64-'65 Wheelcovers.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yup, it is a 61. I have always loved lightweight little cars with V8 engines. I had a V8 Monza and converted a Vega over to a 383 stroker. Both fun little cars. I also always tried to have something nobody else had (see Monza and Vega comment). I have a realistic three year plan for this one. I may be able to trim it to two years, but will plan on three.
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -B Franklin

Comment

As far as the brakes are concerned, you can put a Turner kit on to give you the safety of a double pump master cylinder without converting to disk on the front. Did this on my 60 and it does stop better than with the single master. Just a suggestion if $$$ are tight. Great looking ride, enjoy.
            Bob
            Bob
            Welland Ontario
            60 Lark Convertible
            64 Daytona
            sigpic
            "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Thx Bob. I am pretty sure I will end up with disc on the front and a Ranger rear end in the back. All the brakes are shot from sitting. Not much is salvageable beyond the drums and hold down kits. All the lines are full of rust, master cylinder is full of rust, all four brake cylinders are leaking, and the shoes are in rough shape as well. Looking into the cost of rebuilding all that and replacing shoes matches up pretty closely to what I will spend on the disc conversion and rear end swap. I like the idea of being bone stock, but common sense is telling the swaps are the way to go. BTW- I lived 15 miles from Pinehurst, NC for over ten years. Not sure what the Pinehurst reference is in your user name.

Comment

This is a no brainer. Disc brakes.

Comment

Looks Great ,Nice work

Comment

What are the production numbers on his car, the 61 Lark VIII 2DHTP, with quad headlights? I don't think I've seen another like it.
                    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

What are the production numbers on his car, the 61 Lark VIII 2DHTP, with quad headlights?
                      BP's answer in Post #24 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...1-Lark-hardtop

Keep in mind ALL two door hardtops were Regals, and would have had dual headlights.

Craig

Comment

It's looking really nice. I like the '61 Hardtop.
                        Rog
                        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                        Smithtown,NY
                        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          BP's answer in Post #24 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...1-Lark-hardtop

Keep in mind ALL two door hardtops were Regals, and would have had dual headlights.

Craig
                          Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
                          What are the production numbers on his car, the 61 Lark VIII 2DHTP, with quad headlights? I don't think I've seen another like it.

LOL!, you've Just seen TWO of them!

Note: The Regal 4 Doors, Regal 4 Door Wagons, Convertibles and Cruisers, Plus all the Deluxes that were ordered with the Optional 4 Hd. Lts. also have them.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When I rebuilt my brakes they needed everything, so I totaled the cost of wheel cylinders, shoes, hoses and stock master cylinder. I subtracted that from the cost of the Turner disc and dual master kits, and the upgrades seemed well worth the slight extra cost. Had I needed drums the stock rebuild would probably have been more than the upgrade.
                            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I did not need drums when I did mine, and I rebuilt the wheel cylinders, rather than replacing them. Just needed shoes and a master. So the Turner kit only added a $100 to the cost of a stock rebuild and I got better results for the $$$ spent. If you need it all, by all means yes, go for the disc conversion. Just trying to be help full and get another one safely on the road. Also the "pinehurst" reference is just my "handle" as it is my street name, nothing to do with the station wagon of the 50,s.
                              Bob
                              Bob
                              Welland Ontario
                              60 Lark Convertible
                              64 Daytona
                              sigpic
                              "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Working...
                              X