Brake sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake sticks

The right front brake on my 49 Champion coupe sticks something fierce after the car has not been driven for a while. The last time this happened I had not taken the car out for about 3-4 weeks. The brake binds as soon as I push the pedal, but will unlock when I take my foot off the pedal. It will eventually stop binding after I start up and stop several times. It takes longer to unbind the longer the car has sat. I normally just put her in reverse and keep trying until the brake unsticks. The last time this happened I thought I had it working okay until I got out on the road, had to make a sudden stop, and the tire squealed like a stuck pig. The brakes work fine otherwise that is after the sticking goes away.

I am hoping that this is a fairly simple problem to fix: a bad return spring? a new brake cylinder? Could there be a problem in the line? The lines, cylinders, front shoes were replaced about five years ago. Drums were honed.

I really would appreciate any advice you can give.

You may have a wheel cylinder leaking fluid on the brake lining. That would sure cause it to lock up.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

That's my thought also. There is also the possibility that the brake adjuster is wonky. Many mechanics are stymied by those adjusters, although they work really well is installed properly.

Why not remove the right front drum and take a look?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The brake hose may be starting to swell on the inside not letting the fluid return keeping the brakes locked . If the hoses are getting old , it would be a good idea to replace them .

Comment

My guess would be wheel cylinder. Just had to redo the fronts on my 60 after 6 summers of use. Have you been adding brake fluid?
          Bob
          Bob
          Welland Ontario
          60 Lark Convertible
          64 Daytona
          sigpic
          "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

suggest you're not driving the car enough - change that and maybe your problem goes away..... but I would definitely open up that side and investigate. BTW - when were the front bearings/seals serviced ?

Comment

Originally posted by kfnut View Post
              The brake hose may be starting to swell on the inside not letting the fluid return keeping the brakes locked . If the hoses are getting old , it would be a good idea to replace them .

Yep... Sticky, (sometimes inconsistent), brakes in my experience has nearly always been solved with new hoses and if one is causing grief, replace 'em all!

Comment

Just wanted to thank all who responded to my question. Turns out that a previous owner removed all of the brake adjustment hardware on both front brakes. I assume there are no consequences to this lack of self adjustment? I adjusted using the eccentrics. The grabbing is gone, but was wondering if I should look into replacing all the hardware if I can get it. Thanks again.

Comment

I'd replace the missing part to the adjusters. French Lake Auto Parts would have them. 320-286-2560

Funny how so many will just remove that stuff they don't understand, rather than fix it correctly.
                  If you need new buttons for the adjusters, I'd guess SI or one of the parts guys here would have some. I found some NOS ones on ebay a couple years ago.

Comment

Sounds like the same mechanic worked on my truck. Pulled all the adjuster parts off, had to install over-sized brake pads, and I still got too much pedal play. I could not get the eccentrics to adjust even then. Had to Rube G. some oversized washers "hogged out" over stock eccentrics. A lot of work, but working. Hold for having to adjust shoes every few hundred miles due to no arcing.....

Comment

Generally, if the adjusters have been removed, the eccentrics have insufficient range to adjust the shoes. Some aftermarket companies made large washers to put around the eccentrics to give them adjustment range.

The best thing is to install the self adjusters. They seem complicated until you get used to installing them, but they work great.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                      X