Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: underdash AC unit finish color

Hello all,

I picked up a 62 Studebaker under dash AC unit recently and found a stock mounting bracket via SI. How were the units finished? Body color? Interior/Dash color? or were they just finished in black?

Thanks,

Jeff
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

A Satin Black was the norm but have seen tan and pale green over the years. have an orange one for grand son's Allis Chalmers Orange '63 Lark Custom. Luck , Doofus

Comment

Jeff, I believe that the evaporator units changed somewhat sometime in the '62 model year, or maybe between the '62 and '63 model years. I have an early '62 system that has a black evaporator, and have seen plenty of '62s with the silvery grey evaporator. IIRC, the '62 options brochure (the one that is the size of the owners manual) shows the black evaporator. I am talking about factory-installed, and dealer-installed Studebaker kits, here -- not aftermarket.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

First of all, thanks for the replies

I do have the factory unit, what made me ask is that it has faded black paint with a silver/grey plastic base. I may just wipe it down and shoot it with satin black.

Now if someone reproduced the side vents, the four big adjustable vents are ok, the plastic on the side vents is a little crumbly though.

Jeff T.
        \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
        The Replacements.

Comment

Most were a very generic Gray Color Fiberglass, not matching anything but Generic enough to go with any Interior.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My late 1962 GT Hawk A/C unit housing is silver-grey.

BTW, my bezels turned yellow. I popped them out and painted them with Krylon Rust Tough Enamel RTA 9232 Silver Metallic. They look just like new.

I agree with someone reproducing the side vents. My aren't too good either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1744.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1709141
            Attached Files
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Early Mustang's used this set up, try National Parts Depot for side vent's they show 2 type's. Luck , Doofus

Comment

The side vents are the same as the Mustangs.

There are a number of items on these pages that seem similar , such as the hose grommets and retainers for the 1964 and later cars

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  The side vents are the same as the Mustangs.

There are a number of items on these pages that seem similar , such as the hose grommets and retainers for the 1964 and later cars

Robert Kapteyn
                  I wrote to find out what diameter hole they fit. $20.99 each seems a little steep.
                  Bill L.
                  1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                    I wrote to find out what diameter hole they fit. $20.99 each seems a little steep.
                    Please let us know if the Mustang side vents are the same.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
                    X