clutch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch question

Will an 8 inch clutch disc/pressure plate work on a 64 ohv 6? I happened into one at a very reasonable price, but not sure it will work on the car. Is the flywheel/bolt pattern different?

quote:Originally posted by 63larkcustom

Will an 8 inch clutch disc/pressure plate work on a 64 ohv 6? I happened into one at a very reasonable price, but not sure it will work on the car. Is the flywheel/bolt pattern different?
    63lark,

It should bolt up. I base this on the following:
    '59 and '60 6 cylinders used the 8" clutch. In fact, the '59 presssure plate p/n 521128 was used at least back into the late '40s. Also, the flywheel was the same from '59 thru '64 on the 6 cylinder standard and O/D cars (non-taxi/police). The clutch disc will work on your transmission as long as it is a T96 (which it should be.....).

Now, how long it will last is up to conjecture. Studebaker went to the larger diameter clutch with the OHV 6 engines. If you use it, you may want to take it easy on the clutch.

Hope this helps.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Thanks for the help Paul! This is one of the last few things to be done before putting my 64 back into service.

Comment

The correct clutch is 8 1/2 inches with a 1 inch splined disc. and sometimes a wrong one, can cost as much or more than a correct one from a reliable source![:0] And yours can be rebuilt.

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X