PDA

View Full Version : Air escapement redux:-(

Hawklover
09-10-2016, 12:00 PM
It has been suggested on this forum that the schrader valves may be leaking on my tires resulting in air pound loss.

Question:
What kind of sprayer should be utilized to spray water inside the schrader valve in the valve stem?

I do not know how much water it will take to determine if the actual valve is the cause of air leakage of my tires. Additionally, will the water cause rust of the schrader assembly as once I spray water in the valve, there is no way to get it out, save for standard evaporation.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Alan
09-10-2016, 12:25 PM
What I do is put the tire in a large wash tub about 36" in diam and a foot or so deep. That way you can see the bubbles and where they are coming from. Most times leaks are from the edges of the rim, rivets at the mating points of the rim and even the tubes if you use them. Schrader valves are made of brass and some are plated. If you are worried about rusting I would just blow the valve out with air after I was done.

sasquatch
09-10-2016, 12:35 PM
It has been suggested on this forum that the schrader valves may be leaking on my tires resulting in air pound loss.

Question:
What kind of sprayer should be utilized to spray water inside the schrader valve in the valve stem?

I do not know how much water it will take to determine if the actual valve is the cause of air leakage of my tires. Additionally, will the water cause rust of the schrader assembly as once I spray water in the valve, there is no way to get it out, save for standard evaporation.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

If you are talking about putting water in the tires, you can buy an adapter at the tractor stores that screws onto the valve stem and allows you to screw on a garden hose. And yes, the steel wheels will rust if the water is left in the tires. Alan's method is much better for finding leaks.

Pat Dilling
09-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Soapy water from a spray bottle works well to locate leaks. The soap film helps the liquid cling to the surface and it bubbles more easily too.

Ron Dame
09-10-2016, 04:11 PM
I just put a bit of spit on my finger, lay it on and look for bubbles. Cheap and easy!

DEEPNHOCK
09-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Spray some soapy water all over the stem.
If it bubbles from the end, it is a bad schrader valve.
If it bubbles from where the rubber stem comes through the wheel, then ut is a bad valve stem assy.
Ozone, sunlight, and age will wear out a stem. Always replace the stem assy when changing tires.

Hawklover
09-10-2016, 09:02 PM
I appreciate all the information.............pray for all those souls lost to us on 9/11.

Hawklover
09-10-2016, 09:05 PM
Car has brass truck valves to keep the hub caps from walking all around the wheel.
Spray some soapy water all over the stem.
If it bubbles from the end, it is a bad schrader valve.
If it bubbles from where the rubber stem comes through the wheel, then ut is a bad valve stem assy.
Ozone, sunlight, and age will wear out a stem. Always replace the stem assy when changing tires.

TWChamp
09-10-2016, 09:13 PM
You can buy an empty pump type spray bottle for a buck at Dollar Tree, or you can use a container of soapy water and a 1" wide paint brush to brush the water on the tire.

As mentioned, most times it's leaking from the valve or around the rim. I use Vaseline on tires beads as it doesn't hurt the rubber and seals very well.

Hawklover
09-10-2016, 09:15 PM
The shop utilized that black bead sealer goop.
You can buy an empty pump type spray bottle for a buck at Dollar Tree, or you can use a container of soapy water and a 1" wide paint brush to brush the water on the tire.

As mentioned, most times it's leaking from the valve or around the rim. I use Vaseline on tires beads as it doesn't hurt the rubber and seals very well.