Hubcap fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubcap fit

I have a '55 Champion coupe and original style steel wheels with the little clips for "poverty" hubcaps. I'm wondering if hubcaps from later years' Studebakers will fit these wheels. I'm not wanting wheel covers, but I'd rather have hubcaps. Thanks, Jerry in Denver

You don't like the 55 hubcaps?, Or you just don't have them.

Comment

I only have one '55 hubcap and would be quite happy to find four more, but kinda nicer than my one. I like most of Studebaker's hubcaps. Come to think about it, I like the little hubcaps of other makes of cars too. Actually, I think the '55 hubcaps look like they belong there on that car. I've been seeing on eBay that there are many sets of great looking hubcaps, but how new can I go using my stock wheels that have the three stamped-steel clips in the wheel for the cap to click over it. I tried a nice '60's Chevy hubcap on the Stude wheels and they did snap on to the wheel clips, seemed a bit loose and far easier to wiggle and I could pull it off with my hands. Hmmm.

Comment

The Wheels with the slots for the Hubcap Clips and that size Hub Caps that only fit them, were used '47 to '57, so IMO the '53-'55 Type that you have are the best looking you will find and no later ones will fit those wheels.

If you network with the Local Chapter Members or nearby Chapter Members at Swap Meets at Zone Meets etc. you should be able to find some nice '53 to '55 Hub Caps used, as the stock of NOS ones in South Bend ran out maybe only 5 years ago, there were many dozens of those.

Most used ones have the Transparent Gold Lacquer worn off like these:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	54 Champion 4dr.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1708978 Click image for larger version

Name:	53 Sedan 2-dr.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1708979 The Gray one looks like it is at Bob Peterson's place in Northern Calif. come to think of it, he may even have some. He posts on here about selling off fleets of Studebakers for people.

OR, check some of these Studebaker Vendors: http://studebakervendors.com
        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-09-2016, 09:36 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was afraid it might be a difficult job to find the hubcaps and I'm just beginning to network a little bit locally, so I'll keep looking for the ones that were meant to be on this car.

Comment

Hubcaps.com use to have studebaker hubcaps. I haven't looked for a while. Half the fun of the hobby is finding parts and pieces

Comment

Yes, I've always liked the search and the finding. On-line is ok, but locating something at the salvage yard is a real hoot. Thank goodness for the internet because it helps us find parts that have, in many cases, gotten to be rare.

Comment

Originally posted by 60jerry View Post
                I only have one '55 hubcap and would be quite happy to find four more, but kinda nicer than my one. I like most of Studebaker's hubcaps. Come to think about it, I like the little hubcaps of other makes of cars too. Actually, I think the '55 hubcaps look like they belong there on that car. I've been seeing on eBay that there are many sets of great looking hubcaps, but how new can I go using my stock wheels that have the three stamped-steel clips in the wheel for the cap to click over it. I tried a nice '60's Chevy hubcap on the Stude wheels and they did snap on to the wheel clips, seemed a bit loose and far easier to wiggle and I could pull it off with my hands. Hmmm.
                The '55 dawg dish hubcaps to me are great on any wheel sporting the "clips" as retainers especially as the V8 wheels are 5" in width and function well on Larks etc. I did that switch on a '63 Lark and certainly handled a lot better with full 205x75x15 tires.

Comment

Originally posted by 60jerry View Post
                  Thanks for the info. I was afraid it might be a difficult job to find the hubcaps and I'm just beginning to network a little bit locally, so I'll keep looking for the ones that were meant to be on this car.
                  I have 5 NOS dog dish for 53-55. Bought them for my 53 and not using them. Let me know if you are interested.

Comment

Working...
                  X