No announcement yet.

Avanti sway bar to 53 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Avanti sway bar to 53 ??

Already researched and I guess I didn't see a clear answer. Is a 63-64 Avanti front sway bar a bolt on, for a 53 ? Is it worth the effort ? Thanks

Pretty sure they are same as 63 and later Stude V8 bars. I know they are a direct bolt in for 56J, and likely for 53-54 also. They make a LOT of difference, in reducing pitch and roll, especially noticeable in sweepers.

Comment

The '63-'64 Avanti Front Stabilizer Bar is just a '63-'66 Lark/Hawk setup, it is not the Diameter that was improved much over the "Bolted to the "A" Arms only" Type, it is the "A" shaped drop mount from the Frame that improves side roll and adds Anti-Dive and pitch to the equation.

There ARE however the Avanti II type, that Dave Thibeaubalt sells a Repro of, that does have a VERY stiff larger Bar.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The '63-'64 Avanti Front Stabilizer Bar is just a '63-'66 Lark/Hawk setup, it is not the Diameter that was improved much over the "Bolted to the "A" Arms only" Type, it is the "A" shaped drop mount from the Frame that improves side roll and adds Anti-Dive and pitch to the equation.

There ARE however the Avanti II type, that Dave Thibeaubalt sells a Repro of, that does have a VERY stiff larger Bar.
        Yes, the 63 and later V8 mounts are different. But the bars are also 3'4" diameter, versus 5/8" of the much earlier V8 and six cylinders. IMHO, the increased diameter and improved mount combine to make for are an easy, cheap upgrade to 56J, and anything else that came with the wimpier bar, that mounted only to the 'A' arms. I have installed them on at least half dozen 56Js, and the difference if very noticeable.

I have spent the big bucks for Dave T's 3/4" rear bars, on at least two 56Js. They help, but not as much as the 63 and later bar on the front end. Maybe Dave T's 1" diameter front bars are an even bigger improvement, but with all the 63 and later bars around, I just never sprung the big bucks for one.

Comment

If you get a bar big enough you essentially change your independent front suspension into a solid front axle.
          For racing, a huge bar may be needed. For a stock driver, bigger isn't necessarily better.
          Add a rear stabilizer bar and pay attention to its size compared to the front. That and better shocks.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Since my computer's hard drive crashed I don't have the link to Sal's front sway bar. He used one from an 84 Olds Cutlass (RWD) along with modifying the bracket which has been reported by those who have done it as making the transformation remarkable.

I respectfully disagree with 55 56 Prez 4D belief that the heavier front bar changes it to a solid front axle. The bar itself is basically a torsion bar allowing a degree of twist and allows the "A" arms act independently albeit with more control. One observation I have of the 63-66 Studebaker bracket is that it tends to slightly crush in the bottom of the frame rail. What I have done is incorporate a flat plate at the 2, per side, mounting areas that spread the torsional load to the outside of the frame rail.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Bob Johnstones site has the front sway bar information including my modification to the Speedster. It made a great improvement.

Comment

Yes, up to about 1-1/4" dia. anti-sway bar will improve the ride greatly. Just as they do to modern cars.
                The GM bars off of 60's and 70's (maybe even into the 80's) Camaro's, Firebird's, Chevelle's, etc. work well on the Stude. You just have to make mounts like Sal, myself and may others have done.
                You need to remember to "balance" the car, a rear bar should also be added once the front bar diameter goes above 1.0" dia.

As for a Studebaker front bar fitting other Stude bodied cars, sure, the chassis's are all basically the same 1953 and up. While different bars have different mount types, with the proper (to the bar) mounting brackets in hand, they will all bolt on. Though the control arm to control arm (early) style, require slots in the lower control arms and are really not nearly as effective as frame mounted bars.

And NO...an anti-sway bar does "nothing" for controlling anti-dive...period. If it does, it's mounted wrong.

I have a 1-1/4" bar on the front my Lark, that I will be transferring to my 54 wagon when it's ready to hit the road.

Be wary of aftermarket anti-sway bars. Many are not made of the correct material. Steel, yes, but not a spring steel like they need to be made of.

I believe Fairborn Studebaker and Bob Johnstone carries both front and rear anti-sway bars that are of good quality and properly fit the chassis.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                  Yes, up to about 1-1/4" dia. anti-sway bar will improve the ride greatly. Just as they do to modern cars.
                  The GM bars off of 60's and 70's (maybe even into the 80's) Camaro's, Firebird's, Chevelle's, etc. work well on the Stude. You just have to make mounts like Sal, myself and may others have done.
                  I also mounted a later GM 1-1/8" or so bar - while I hadn't driven them back to back (it had been several years since I'd driven my '53), I do notice it corners very flat and handles well. I need a slightly larger rear bar to balance it - and some better shocks to take advantage of it all.
                  -------------------
                  Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

The '63 Studebaker Avanti REAR stabilizer bar will also fit your '53 C/K, although you'll have to modify your stock tailpipes to use it!

Comment

Working...
                    X