M-5 pickup with M-16 extra cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M-5 pickup with M-16 extra cab

Hello all! It is with sad regrets that I have come to the realization that I have too many projects and not enough time to finish them. One of these is a 1946 M5 -13 pickup. The serial no. is 47249. the tag on the seat base says M5-C2, 46772. I have an extra cab from an M16-52 serial no.49663. The tag on the seat base says M16-C2, 43495. I was planning to make a camper pulling truck and was going to resto-rod it. The pickup was complete except for the engine and radiator. It is completely apart with some rust prevention measures started. Overall the condition is fair, the floors in both cabs along with the cab corners and backs are pretty bad. The doors are in ok condition the skins look good but the bottom of the inner doors are rusty. The rest of both cabs are there and in ok condition including all trim, gauges, wipers, steering wheels and columns. The glass is shot. The door latches and window regulators are there. There are Studebaker heaters in both cabs. The M16 cab still has traces of "Clement Lumber Company" on the back of it. All the fenders have a bit of rust on the bottoms but are dent free. The hood has rust in the back corners where it sat propped up against the truck in the leaves but overall presentable. The inner fenders on the front are good. The headlight stands and buckets are pretty moth-eaten but could be repaired. The chrome bezels are pitted but usable. The front axle has been cleaned and primed, kingpins seem good on one side and a bit of play on the other. All the steering components are there. There is a 4-speed transmission and driveshaft. The rear axle is there and seems ok. All of the brakes are stuck, the springs disintegrated on dis-assembly. The drums look serviceable. All springs look fine. The bed is a bit dented inside but no rust through. The tailgate is in good shape with no rust through. The frame has some deeper pits right behind the cab and under the bed but not through. There are a lot of good parts on this truck and the spare cab. I haven't listed this anywhere else but here to keep the scrap-mongers away. Talk to me folks, make me an offer. A large tree mashed the sheds up that I have the parts in so its needing a home.
    Reach me at mohawkstickman@yahoo.com, message here
    or 864-320-6201.
    I will photograph parts as I pull them out of storage.
    Terry

Awww, Come on guys! I hate to see it go to just anybody. Some rat-rod fanatic will chop it all up. Everything is there except for engine and radiator. Sorry, no titles for either cab but should be uncontested as one was owned by a defunct company and the owner is too lazy on the other to look for it. It needs some love guys!
    Terry

Comment

Terry, sad to see you have to let it go. You might try listing it over on Studebaker Truck Talk, http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885

Best of Luck to you!

JS
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Wow! that ones even close to me. If I had more time and less project I would have to have this one. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Steve, I understand the time and project thing. I was slowly going through parts, sandblasting and neutralizing the rust. I have lost track of what I have done but I know the 2 fenders and the headlight buckets have been done. I have a home-built sandblaster made from a 300 gallon round fuel oil tank that I can get the whole fender in. The reason that I am letting the old girl go is that a project built many years ago by a dear friend with me in mind came available after more than 15 years. Nothing to do with Studebakers, it is an '82 Volkswagen Rabbit pickup with a '78 Olds Toronado engine and trans in the bed. I guess it is the only rear wheel drive Rabbit in existence. The weekend I went to recover the Volkswagen a tree fell across three of my dry sheds and rendered the roofs useless. The M-5 parts are in these sheds and will probably start to deteriorate again. The Volkswagen is special so I need to work on it. The frame on the M-5 currently has a '78 Chrysler Newport rear axle and front clip slid over the frame rails. I didn't like the way the front clip was looking so I stopped. The only modifications to the frame is the front crossmember has been removed. I was planning on going back stock with updated brakes and just running it. I missed a big 6 by minutes which made me sick......100 bucks for engine and trans, running and could be demonstrated. Dang!
          Well that's some of the story on the M-5, it would be a real nice project and fairly easy for someone with the time to put it back together. I would like to get $500.00 for the whole thing. I just want it to go to someone who will appreciate its survivor status.
          Terry

Comment

Working...
          X