Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shows

I enjoy the attention my Sky Hawk gets at shows, especially the stories people tell me about their parents and grandparents owning Studies, and how devoted many of them were to our cars. I'm frequently the only Studie there, or there may be one or two more. I think people find them unusual and refreshing, in a sea of "the usual suspects," i.e., Chevys, Corvettes, and Mustangs. I usually just "Walk on By" those and head for the most unusual and interesting cars. There are always a few which are special.
    peter lee

You're singing my song!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Ditto! I've seen enough Tri-Five Chevys to last a lifetime. If there is a Stude, Nash, Packard, Rambler, Hudson or other out-of the ordinary marque at a show, it draws me like a moth to a flame. I don't think we are alone in that. Let's get these Studes out to the multi-make meets and steal the show!
      Mike Davis
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

The look Studebakers gets is like no other make. I've been lined up with nice Fords and Chevy's and people look kind of bored but when they see a Studie they smile and walk around them. The biggest thrill I got from showing is when a 92 year old man asked if he could sit behind the wheel.
        His family helped him out of his wheelchair and into the car. The smile on his face was priceless. I offered to let him drive it but he declined. It made his day and sure made mine

Comment

I've been tired of the tri-five Chevy's along with Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelle and Corvettes for a long time which always dominated car shows. I rarely saw an orphan presentation. Car shows had bored me for years. I haven't attended shows in over eight years. Judging from the response posts I haven't missed much.

Comment

My '53 Starlight was the only Studebaker at a very popular central PA show and I can't count how many people came over just to say how much they appreciated having something different, and this one in particular.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I did something similar with a friend's father who was suffering from Alzheimer's. He really enjoyed seeing the car and remembered Studebakers. Our new slogan should be "Studebakers = good karma!"
              peter lee

Comment

At most Post War car show today the participants and audience are separated into groups. There are Chevrolet people and Ford people and then everyone else. The first two groups congregate within their group and often show little interest in the other, or in the third group's cars. I find that most of the real "car people" come from the third group. They tend to be the most interested in diversity and the most interesting to talk to and get to know. There are certainly the division of rodders from the original car devotees, but in my world, in the PNW, I don't see the problem. At our cruise nights and car shows, originals outnumber the rods by a substantial amount. We just have a lot of survivors up here!

Comment

[in the PNW, I don't see the problem. At our cruise nights and car shows, originals outnumber the rods by a substantial amount. We just have a lot of survivors up here![/QUOTE]

Bill, my wife and I have noted the cornucopia of Studebaker survivors listed for sale in the PNW and have wondered, WHY? Nearly every time I see a nice one for sale and at a reasonable price, it's 3,000 miles away!
                  Mike Davis
                  1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I parked my "beater" 54 Coupe next to a very nice 69 Camaro at a show once, and drew so much attention that the Camaro guy up and moved across the lot. That alone was worth the price of admission.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      I parked my "beater" 54 Coupe next to a very nice 69 Camaro at a show once, and drew so much attention that the Camaro guy up and moved across the lot. That alone was worth the price of admission.
                      I can understand that!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      I can understand that!
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Bottom line............Show your Studebaker proudly...............

#10 alaipairod

Speedster Member
                        Join DateJun 2013LocationFrazier Park CAPosts265
                        We make it a point to take our Studebaker '47 M5, and our '57 GH to "hostile" car shows.
                        The response from the entrants, car lovers, and Judges has been overwhelming.
                        My wife and I get a lot of pleasure explaining Studebaker, and our vehicles to the public.
                        The Judges at these shows have given our truck and Hawk many awards....Most of the shows we entered, we were the only Studebaker there.
                        At the last "Thunder on the Mountain" show in Tehachapi CA, there were 7 Studebakers entered out of 319 entrants.....4 of them, including our '57GH won awards.
                        .......So please don't be shy about taking your Studebaker to a "Tri 5" Chevy show..........

Comment

We have a big car cruise in Monmouth IL every year in early August. It draws close to 2000 cars. This year I took the Champ and near as I can tell...... I was the only Studebaker there. As usual I got a lot of interest and questions about my truck. It is fun explaining Studebaker history. It is also fun to explain the quirks of a wide bed Champ. I get a lot of "did it come from the factory that way" questions. Some people think it's cool and others think it looks dumb. You have to be thick skinned if you drive a Champ.

This show is a sea of late model Camaro, Mustangs, and Challengers. It has all of the other usual suspects as well. Tri 5 Chevies, muscle cars, etc. when I look I also seek out the odd and or different. One of my favorites at the event this year was a 1965 Buick Wilcat 2 door hardtop with a dressed up nailhead V8. Yeah it's a GM, but when was the last time you saw one?
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

My nephew had just finished the restoration on his '70 Charger and wanted to attend a show. His dad drove his '65 Corvette, and at the time my Studebaker was a slightly rusted and dented '49 Champion sedan.

The look on my nephew's face was priceless as crowds would walk right by his gleaming Mopar to ooooh and aaaah over my faded black Champion. My brother was used to it and would just laugh.
                            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                              We have a big car cruise in Monmouth IL every year in early August. It draws close to 2000 cars. This year I took the Champ and near as I can tell...... I was the only Studebaker there. As usual I got a lot of interest and questions about my truck. It is fun explaining Studebaker history. It is also fun to explain the quirks of a wide bed Champ. I get a lot of "did it come from the factory that way" questions. Some people think it's cool and others think it looks dumb. You have to be thick skinned if you drive a Champ.

This show is a sea of late model Camaro, Mustangs, and Challengers. It has all of the other usual suspects as well. Tri 5 Chevies, muscle cars, etc. when I look I also seek out the odd and or different. One of my favorites at the event this year was a 1965 Buick Wilcat 2 door hardtop with a dressed up nailhead V8. Yeah it's a GM, but when was the last time you saw one?
                              All that really matters is that you like it and know it came from the best car company.

Comment

Working...
                              X