Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Year Did The Brake And Turn Lights Go To A Single Bulb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Year Did The Brake And Turn Lights Go To A Single Bulb?

I was just curious when Studebaker went from separate bulbs for brake and turn lights, to a single bulb for both functions? Thanks, Tom

1953. It's also when they went to plastic lenses rather than glass.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Your post inspired me to Launch into a search. I had to sift through a ton of "sales" ads...but...here's a link with probably more information than you need. However, I found it a fun and interesting read.http://ccs.dogpile.com/ClickHandler....cop=main-title
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My Uncles 50 Landcruiser has separate bulbs, my 51 Commander has single bulb.
        Rob

Comment

Ditto!.....1951

Comment

A 52 Commander I worked on had TWO bulbs per rear
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

In Tucson you do not see turn signals...motorists never give away what their next move might be! Keeps everyone on their toes.(Just local humor...no hate mail, please)

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
                In Tucson you do not see turn signals...motorists never give away what their next move might be! Keeps everyone on their toes.(Just local humor...no hate mail, please)
                In Boston, we just close our eyes and 'NAIL IT'!!

Comment

Yeah. I drove in Boston, once. That was enough.

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    My bone stock '52 Commander has one dual filament bulb per taillight.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

It's funny how different parts of the country vary in the way things are done. Years ago when visiting my uncle in North Carolina I saw people pull behind another car turning left & they put their left turn signal on too. When the first car turned, then they proceeded to go on straight. Thought that was very neighborly. Wonder if they still do that?
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                        [QUOTE=41 Frank;1010972]My bone stock '52 Commander has one dual filament bulb per tail light. /QUOTE]

Yeah, I was thinking that the one Bez worked on, HAD to have 1950 Tail Lights or something, as no '52 with '52 Tail Lights would have 2 Bulbs unless heavily modified. But hey, they have had 64 Years to do it!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In Tucson, most drivers also think the Speed Limit is a suggestion, not the law. To turn left in my neighborhood, Indian Ridge, there is a No U Turn Sign. Again, most view that as a suggestion then go ahead and make the U Turn. City of Tucson is losing at least $100,000 in ticket revenue by never having any law enforcement personnel stationed at the street entrance.

Bob Miles
                          Guess Where?

Comment

It is called the snow bird swerve.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                              It is called the snow bird swerve.
                              Funny, how regional the targets of criticism can be. I recall sitting around at a cookout, in the upper Midwest, listening to locals complain about Amish horse drawn vehicles. Down here, transplanted Yankee Carpet Baggers laugh at what we call traffic jams. But, one of the major regional complaints for us Carolina Hillbillies, is anyone driving a vehicle with a Florida license plate. Seems that folks from Florida have no idea of what to do with a hill or a curve.

Not only that, any part of a highway is OK, for the Floridian, to park in the road and take pictures. A few years ago, that became obvious, to me, when I was behind a vehicle sporting a Florida tag. I came around a curve, and had to make a sudden stop. There they were, stopped dead in the road, parked across both lanes, cameras out windows on both sides, taking pictures of a mama bear and two cubs! ...AND I WAS ON MY MOTORCYCLE!!! Exposed...Good Grief!
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X