PDA

View Full Version : lack of studebakers

leonard
09-02-2016, 04:10 AM
this year I attended more car shows then usual I don't know why may be I had no commitments this year. any ways I noticed at all the car shows there was a lack of Studebakers at those shows. except for my 64 cruiser, there was none to be found. that's not to say that there is not a Studebaker club, there is the studebakerdrivers club in my area { black hawk chapter }. this past week I attended car show in Addison il. one Studebaker 1962 lark showed up. by the way I one a trophy for best in class there. I know most of us elderly,but cant some of you attend a a car show to show how proud we are of our cars we are. this is just a thought.i know the clob has some shows but it is all Studebaker cars we need diversity at these shows to peak interest in the event. we have to get younger people involved in the hobby.leonard

Pat Dilling
09-02-2016, 09:45 AM
This is a great point Leonard. Good for you getting your Cruiser out to events that are not Stude specific. We have been working in our chapter to do exactly that and as our members have done it, the awards have been rolling in. Five in the last month! People love to see our Studebakers. If we want to keep the SDC in good health and maintain or grow our membership, we need to recruit new members. Going to open events is a great way to do that. I am amazed at how many people will say "I have one" and don't know about the local Chapter or even the SDC at all. We make it a plan to always carry Chapter flyers and contact cards to share with interested people. Keep the Faith! Pat

Son O Lark
09-02-2016, 10:16 AM
(Said in jest) Everyone take a vow NOT to sell a Studebaker to anyone over 50. This will insure the owners of our cars will be younger and keep the hobby going!

JRoberts
09-02-2016, 11:54 AM
Our chapter (Eastern North Carolina) often attends multimake shows as a group. One such show is in early October and has been on our calendar for years. It is a good way to get our marque out among others at car shows. Cruise-ins are also a great way to do this.

LovelandJoe
09-02-2016, 12:14 PM
I was at a car show with over 700 entries and there was only two Studebakers. It is a wonder Studebaker went out of business because there a lot of people telling me of family members that owned Studies. I did well at the show but the real pleasure is talking to people about my favorite make of car and seeing them smile because of the memories.

jackb
09-02-2016, 01:29 PM
2 out of 700 is a bit lower than Studebaker's penetration into the auto market most years...remaining numbers suggest your experience, and others is about right...

studegary
09-02-2016, 02:11 PM
2 out of 700 is a bit lower than Studebaker's penetration into the auto market most years...remaining numbers suggest your experience, and others is about right...

That is true, but if you subtract all of the cars newer than 1966 from the 700, the percentage may come out correctly related to Studebaker sales.

When these people tell you about family members that owned Studebakers, ask them if they bought them new. Many people bought used Studebakers because in most cases they were cheap. These same people did not buy new Studebakers (necessary to stay in business).

345 DeSoto
09-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Most of the time I'm asked..."STUDEBAKER! Who made it?". But when mid 50's Hawks DO make an appearance, BOY, do they get the WOW's...

alex54
09-02-2016, 07:38 PM
When I was in my 20s, I went to at least 2 shows a year. Now that I'm 42, I haven't been to a show in 8 years. Job, yard work, home repairs, and all sorts of familiy obligations takes up my time and money. (I have to travel for good shows since there is nothing local) My youngest son, now 9, was in a stroller at my last show. Tis life....

alaipairod
09-02-2016, 09:26 PM
We make it a point to take our Studebaker '47 M5, and our '57 GH to "hostile" car shows.
The response from the entrants, car lovers, and Judges has been overwhelming.
My wife and I get a lot of pleasure explaining Studebaker, and our vehicles to the public.
The Judges at these shows have given our truck and Hawk many awards....Most of the shows we entered, we were the only Studebaker there.
At the last "Thunder on the Mountain" show in Tehachapi CA, there were 7 Studebakers entered out of 319 entrants.....4 of them, including our '57GH won awards.
.......So please don't be shy about taking your Studebaker to a "Tri 5" Chevy show..........

LovelandJoe
09-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Good point Gary. It was a pre 72 show but the years from 1964 to 1972 was the years of the pony and muscle cars. There was alot of those at being shown.

Alex take heart there is life after the children are grown. The cars will always be there but your children are only young once so take time to enjoy them.

ken-renda
09-03-2016, 07:36 AM
There are good shows and not so good shows. Some of the good ones include a multi car show in Deltaville, Va (of all places) where my wife and I met an original Studebaker family member who engaged in a lengthily history conversation that included how her ancestors sued to keep the Studebaker name AFTER THEY MARRIED. In another much smaller show, there were three Avantis, 2ea R2's and an 89 hot rod. In another large multi make show they wanted to place the Studebaker in "German" class because that sounded "German". That show did not go well. One thing learned quickly in show participation is that a marginal, some other brand car will be received more favorably than a quality Studebaker. And of course there are conversations about origin of Studebaker, explaining the Avanti was not made in Canada, and listening respectfully when they explain that their uncle, neighbor, parent, etc had a Studebaker. At 75, I expect many more years of this, even when other Studebakers do not show up. Ken. Deltaville Va

SN-60
09-03-2016, 08:02 AM
this year I attended more car shows then usual I don't know why may be I had no commitments this year. any ways I noticed at all the car shows there was a lack of Studebakers at those shows. except for my 64 cruiser, there was none to be found. that's not to say that there is not a Studebaker club, there is the studebakerdrivers club in my area { black hawk chapter }. this past week I attended car show in Addison il. one Studebaker 1962 lark showed up. by the way I one a trophy for best in class there. I know most of us elderly,but cant some of you attend a a car show to show how proud we are of our cars we are. this is just a thought.i know the clob has some shows but it is all Studebaker cars we need diversity at these shows to peak interest in the event. we have to get younger people involved in the hobby.leonard

You're correct, it is important to get our Studebakers out to the various summer shows....However, if we REALLY want the marque to be remembered, I believe it's even more important to DRIVE these cars as much as possible! :!:

I drive my '83 Avanti EVERY DAY, summer and winter, and CONTINUALLY get asked about the car, from older AND younger people!....(And I rather enjoy it!:))

Jett289
09-03-2016, 08:22 AM
At my home town in Fernie British Columbia there were only two Studebakers out of 90 some cars .. My gt Hawk and the towns 1928 Fire Truck ..
The Hawk garnered a lot of attention and very nice comments .. I find the most common question now is " what is it?" . I do find the all make car
shows a lot of fun and lots to look at .. I think I will hit up an all makes car show on IDYS day in Lethbridge Alberta .. I'm looking forward it .
There seems to be no shortage of car shows in the summer months in and around BC and Alberta .. Remember you car does not have to
perfect to be in a car show . I often find the unrestored or restoring in progress cars my favorite ones to check out ..

Coupe Express
09-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Do you have any photos of that 1928 Fire Truck that you could post -- love to see that one.

Greenstude
09-03-2016, 08:44 AM
The Atlantic Canada Chapter is not large enough to host our own shows. Each year, as one of our Chapter activities, we attend another club's show as a group, rotating between several of the all-make antique clubs in our region. We always have been made to feel very welcome by the host clubs. Seeing about 10 diverse Studebakers parked together always gets a good response from the public.

1954khardtop
09-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Our local chapter tries to get together at a show or cruise in twice a month or so. We're going to a nice show put on by the Rotary tomorrow, should have 5 or 6 Studebakers in a field of 100 or so cars.

StudeNewby
09-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Our Eastern NC Chapter is going one better this November. We have invited the local Mercedes and Packard clubs to a "family reunion" meet in Raleigh. I think we'll draw quite a crowd. I'll post an announcement in its own thread soon.

wdills
09-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Dad and I went to a local multi make show today. (The weather cleared just enough for the show to happen). Dad's 50 Champion and my Hawk drew more attention than anything else at the show. There were some awesome cars there but people seemed to be fascinated by having 2 Studebakers sitting side by side. This show normally doesn't have any Studebaker's. We had a constant crowd around the cars. It seems that everyone owned 1 or 2 back in the day. Since everyone used to own them, why did our favorite brand stop making cars?

Mike, this "family reunion" show sounds great. I look forward to hearing details of when and where.

Jett289
09-04-2016, 08:14 AM
Do you have any photos of that 1928 Fire Truck that you could post -- love to see that one.

I just went through my pics on my phone and the only pic I have of the Fernie Fire Dept. 1928 Studebaker truck is this one .. Its on main street in Fernie and the cars were all clearing the main street after the car show this year . The city bought the truck new in 1928 .. It was fully restored a few years back . Lots of help from some SDC people in the Calgary chapter . The truck is used lots in local events and is trailered for longer distance outings ..

StudeNewby
09-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Mike, this "family reunion" show sounds great. I look forward to hearing details of when and where.

Thanks, Wayne. The thing has taken on a life of its own. It will be Saturday, November 5 at Oak View County Park in Raleigh, official start time 1pm. I hope you and your dad can bring the newly-revived Henry and the Champion!

1954khardtop
09-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Our chapter fielded 6 Studebakers at the Rotary Clubs "Patriots day" show today, plus another Avanti by a non member. Out of approx. 150 cars 7 Studebakers is pretty good. Three of them were picked for awards, one Hawk custom, one Bullet nose, and one Avanti.

rodnutrandy
09-04-2016, 08:39 PM
The biggest show I go to each year is the Pumpkin Run Nationals in Owensville , Ohio . This year it is Sept.30 , Oct 1, 2nd , last year had a lot of rain and poor turnout , year before 2473 entries , their were 7 M series pickups , A few R series , Some Larks and Hawks . Studebaker did make a impact , My M series got a top 50 out of the 2473 . I was really surprised ! I am already registered this year , but do not think I have a chance to get any more trophies !

LovelandJoe
09-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Randy your truck would do well in any show. A real beauty

Kato
09-04-2016, 11:02 PM
I've been taking my 62 GT to several shows in Southern Ontario and the response to the car has been overwhelming. Just this past weekend we won yet another trophy among a field of very nice cars but the uniqueness and rarity of seeing a GT has resulted in a great deal of interest at the shows I have attended. I'm 55 so I hope to be promoting Studebaker for many years to come!

rodnutrandy
09-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Randy your truck would do well in any show. A real beauty

Thank You ! I do well at shows , but still shocked to get the top 50 of 2473 entries , their were a lot of beautiful rides their!

studegary
09-05-2016, 07:36 PM
It seems that everyone owned 1 or 2 back in the day. Since everyone used to own them, why did our favorite brand stop making cars?

Refer to my post #7.

T-CAB
09-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Attended a car show in Beausejour Manitoba Canada last weekend. Over 600 cars. There were 6 Stude's. Over 400 of the cars were post 1970. Lots post 2000. Unfortunately I could not make it on my T-Cab - brake issues!

Bruce58127581285812958130

KEN IN TEXAS
09-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Car show promotors here in NE TX are charging entry fees to show. $25 to $30 a car. You get a T shirt but nothing to eat or drink. Cruise-ins are just as much fun and they are free. Seeing a Stude at a show or cruise-in around here is an experience. They are about as rare at a show as my 83 Full Size Jeep Cherokee Laredo . All original except for paint ant tires

daytonadave
09-06-2016, 06:41 PM
I attended the Rocky Mtn AMC car club Fall event in Longmont, CO on Saturday. Their website said Orphan Cars were invited. A man brought his recently restored 67 Avanit II to the event. The only Studebaker there. I think someday for old cars to survive combining clubs will take place. Not everyone is turning their cars into $$$$$$ Good Guys cars.
The Avanti had a 5 speed manual. 58162 Lots of money had been spent. This Guy bought it finished.