Clear All

• flathead 6 and trans complete carb to pan

Click image for larger version

Name:	14183832_10210319746535754_2816045431440304473_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1751629

Pulled from a running 50 truck
    Located in Dallas, its all there. Posting for a friend.

Is it free? As in no cost?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

he says 400 or best offer

Comment

Wow. Deja vu all over again. I just gave an engine away, and the trans is still sitting in my garage. 49 2R16A

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
          Wow. Deja vu all over again. I just gave an engine away, and the trans is still sitting in my garage. 49 2R16A
          I wouldn't be surprised if your method of "flathead 6" engine disposal is more normal (and less troublesome) than attempting to sell them. I have two of those "Toe Stumpers/Shin Busters that were given to me, because the owners were tired of tripping over them. I have played with one of them. But, most of my involvement with them has been moving them from one corner to another, when they are in the way.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

yeah, that's a giveaway engine now. I sold one for $200 once that was running.. paid more than that, finally figured out that I'd never use it. Toe Stumper is right.

Comment

well if any of you are making an official offer of FREE I can pass it on. I know he wants the space back
              Pick up in Dallas near DFW airport

Comment

My first post, on this thread, was an attempt at a bit of tongue & cheek humor, along with a dose of reality. However, anyone within reasonable driving distance, who might be a passionate "tinkerer" should give it a serious look. If you have room, and a place to store it properly, these engines have the potential for some fun projects. Besides being a potential "spare" for a vehicle you now own, it could be used to teach a youngster basic mechanics. In addition, you could build a fairly good household generator, by buying a generator assembly from Northern Tool, or Harbor Freight.

Also, many of us, who dream of having a back yard sandblaster, know how most of our retail (5 to 7hp) electric air compressors simply lack the SCFM to run a truly efficient sand blaster. Again, if you enjoy building your own stuff, you could use this engine to power a pretty large air pump. For me, the greatest challenge, would be figuring out how to rig a drive shaft, or pulley, to connect the engine to what ever device I wanted to power.

He is dead and gone now, but in my youth, (mid-1970's) I was befriended by an old "self-educated" engineer who had built an entire amusement park beside his farmhouse in the foothills of upstate South Carolina. A Ferris wheel, roller coaster, merry-go-round, etc. All of the gearing for his homemade rides were built by adapting vintage auto transmissions and rear ends. His homemade baseball throwing/batting cages were so good that one university bused their team over for practice. I always got a kick out of first time visitors, who would ask if the rides were safe. He would call his little tea cup poodle over, instruct her to hop in a seat, place his lit cigarette in her mouth, sun glasses across her nose, and send her on her way. My poodle might accept the sun glasses, but the cigarette...never!

Anyway, someone withing reasonable distance,think about the potential... Rescue this little puppy. If you can use it for more than a stumbling block...it could provide hours of entertainment.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Funny thing, I was just thinking about wanting to have one 'just in case' since my car's got 70K indicated on the odometer, but honestly, I'm not sure that's 100% accurate. Having a spare 170, for me, is cheaper than if and when my car DOES need an engine rebuild, I'm not out all the time the car's down while the engine's getting rebuilt. A 1950 truck engine in Texas though is probably not worth the effort and money for my needs, but I'm slightly paying attention to situations available like this closer to home.

Comment

Working...
                  X