Mirror Mirror on the ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Mirror Mirror on the ......

My daughter's '59 Silver Hawk needs a larger rear view mirror to give the driver a better view. Does anyone know of a wider longer mirror that will fit in the original spot with little or no modification?? It needs to be a little taller and a little longer. It also needs to be "old timey" nothing new, she likes the old school look on things.

treblig

JC Whitney used to market a wide period correct after market mirror that had angled mirrors to give a better view. I never got one but used to look at all the ads in the catalog and remember seeing it. Is JC Whitney still in business? You might find one at a swap meet otherwise.

Bob Miles
    Last edited by 6hk71400; 08-23-2016, 08:00 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

They appear on ebay from time to time.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
        Is JC Whitney still in business?

Bob Miles
        Yep. But I don't see that angled one you were remembering, Bob.

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

The '57 and '58 Hawk is a much better, wider Mirror, but it's not much if any taller.
          I have never had the need for a taller one there is only so much height you can see out the rear window and still see at a distance anyway.

It will not be "extra Large" like the standard large Clip on aftermarket type that go over the mirror, but if you have a good Left Side View Door mounted mirror you should not need more. If she is short, maybe get a Cushion to sit on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	57_S_HawkBurgandy3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1708598 Here is the Larger '53 to '58 Type.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-23-2016, 10:07 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            The '57 and '58 Hawk is a much better, wider Mirror, but it's not much if any taller.
            I have never had the need for a taller one there is only so much height you can see out the rear window and still see at a distance anyway.

It will not be "extra Large" like the standard large Clip on aftermarket type that go over the mirror, but if you have a good Left Side View Door mounted mirror you should not need more. If she is short, maybe get a Cushion to sit on.

You're right, a taller mirror probably wouldn't help much but a wider (left to right) would make a big difference. I checked the ones in JCWhitney...they have a wide variety, but I don't know which one would easily replace the old one?? I don't want to glue it to the windshield or have to modify the place where it attaches. What I was hoping to find was something where I could remove my old mirror and install the newer one (different) in it's place without losing the style of the interior. If a 57/58 hawk mirror is wider that might be my best option if it's a bolt on replacement??

Thanks,
            Treblig

Comment

Don't they still have the Clip-on over your stock mirror Type?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Don't they still have the Clip-on over your stock mirror Type?

I'm not sure what you're talking about??

Treblig

Comment

Mike,

It was probably over 40 years ago. It was a long narrow rectangular box with between 6 and 8 mirrors with half angled on the left side and half angled on the right side. The mirror as I remember went across the top of the windshield and it was supposed to give the best rear view look for any mirror.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                    Mike,

It was probably over 40 years ago. It was a long narrow rectangular box with between 6 and 8 mirrors with half angled on the left side and half angled on the right side. The mirror as I remember went across the top of the windshield and it was supposed to give the best rear view look for any mirror.

Bob Miles
                    yes, Bob I know which one you're talking about. I showed her that one and she didn't like it at all. She's only 17 and she said, "I don't want an Old Lady mirror!!" The same thing happened when I tried to give her an old bulky garage door opener..LOL!! Lucky for me I found a guy at a swap meet that had 3 mini garage door openers for $3. I couldn't buy them fast enough.

Treblig

Comment

Well...if you want to lose a couple of days of spare time...go to Ebay. In the search box, type in Clip on Rear View Mirror, or Vintage Rear View Mirror, or Aftermarket Rear View Mirror, or Universal Rear View Mirror....

Thousands of opportunities to buy something that might work...many of the ads are duplicates...even if the sellers are different. You might want to narrow your search with options like U.S. only, and "NEW," and "Buy it Now," etc.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        Well...if you want to lose a couple of days of spare time...go to Ebay. In the search box, type in Clip on Rear View Mirror, or Vintage Rear View Mirror, or Aftermarket Rear View Mirror, or Universal Rear View Mirror....

Thousands of opportunities to buy something that might work...many of the ads are duplicates...even if the sellers are different. You might want to narrow your search with options like U.S. only, and "NEW," and "Buy it Now," etc.

Just tried your suggestion.....lots (clip on) to pick from on ebay. When my daughter gets home from school I'll show them to her. She's pretty set on keeping the car looking like it's supposed to on the interior. That's why I bought the vintage style (new) radio and why I kept the old evaporator. I wanted to upgrade everything but she knows what she likes!!

She's a young girl with an "old soul"!!!

treblig

Comment

Originally posted by Treblig View Post
                          My daughter's '59 Silver Hawk needs a larger rear view mirror to give the driver a better view.
                          Will this one work (#3 of 12) for your daughter? http://www.bestproducts.com/cars/aut...r-car/?slide=3

If not, there are other designs there as well ...check 'em out.

Comment

Driving my car home last night I wondered, did Studebaker ever offer a day/night mirror?

Comment

I had a day/night inside mirror factory acc on my 50 convertible years ago. Have one on my 64 Cruiser now. Again factory acc.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X