Quick question to all stude truck owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question to all stude truck owners

Hi everybody. I am planning on installing a chevy small block(i know it's not original but I'm building on a budget) and I was wondering what radiator mount I should use. And if there are any others that I can use. Such as an old chevy or Ford mount.

Thank you for your assistance

update. Sorry for the late reply. My truck is a 1955 e7 1/2 ton short box. My truck doesn't have an engine or any of the internals. It is just a roller. Once again. Thank you for all the help. You guys are all great and informativeClick image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160721_145600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1751627
    Last edited by Jacob p; 08-29-2016, 05:28 PM.

Hi Jacob, and welcome to the forum. We'll need more info before we can help you out, such as the year and the model you are working on. And while I certainly am unaware of your circumstances, let me just toss out that just about any part you need for a Studebaker drivetrain is readily available from one of our vendors, for about the same money one can spend on an SBC. Just a thought...regardless, any Studebaker on the road is a good Studebaker! Again, welcome.
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Do you not have a Studebaker Radiator Saddle?
      That should work fine with your Chev. Engine, it is the Ford and Chrysler Engine swaps that are too long to fit.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's called a radiator support! At least that's what I've known it as in the past 55 years & what it's called in the Studebaker Parts Book. A friend of mine needed a part & called me & said that Bill Oliver was trying to sell him a radiator saddle. At that time I had never heard of such a thing & had no idea what he was talking about. Finally he came over the house & showed me what has been called in the industry "radiator support"!!!!
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Frankly I find it considerably foolish of these people who insist on switching out the Studebaker engine for another brand. Yes, there are engine mounts and etc, available from Studebaker International that will work with any small-block Chevy engine. However, then you have to modify the exhaust (manifolds and pipe) to be compatible with the steering and a number of other items. It would be much easier to just stick with what is intended to be installed in that engine compartment. With the modifications necessary for the transplant, likely no cheaper to go Chevy than putting in a readily available Studebaker engine.

You may not be familiar with Studebaker engineering, however it is well thought out and powerful. Chevy makes a good engine. So does Studebaker.

Just sayin'.

Your car/truck, your decision, your hassle.
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

That's all true Ron, but the Man has a Truck so there ARE no Engine Mount Brackets available to install a Chev Engine in a TRUCK!

They have to be hand made Front and Rear.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I put a 350-350 in my 54. After about 5 years, pulled it out and sold the engine. Built a Studebaker 289 V8 engine and put back in it. Been about 15 years ago. Studebaker engine still running strong. Think I still have the home made front motor mounts somewhere.

Comment

Matt Burnette lives in Florida and would be a great resource for information and good advice. He has a post about a Diesel truck on Ebay and he did the ad for that truck. You can bring up the post, send him a private message by bringing your mouse on the left side of the post over his name and select that option to send him a private message. He will answer you and offer help. His name on the forum is MBStude.

Bob Miles
                Last edited by 6hk71400; 08-23-2016, 07:59 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                  It's called a radiator support! At least that's what I've known it as in the past 55 years & what it's called in the Studebaker Parts Book. A friend of mine needed a part & called me & said that Bill Oliver was trying to sell him a radiator saddle. At that time I had never heard of such a thing & had no idea what he was talking about. Finally he came over the house & showed me what has been called in the industry "radiator support"!!!!
                  I started working in a body shop when I was 14 years old. Back then the radiator support was always referred to as the "saddle".
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Ron makes a good point. What truck do you have? 1/2 ton?

If budget is your number one consideration, you will most likely be ahead rebuilding your original engine, if it is a good core.

I am putting a sbc in my 2R16A. Was downstairs mocking it up this evening. My old engine was not a good core. Cracked head, broken pistons. HOWEVER, if money was the ONLY consideration, I would have been better off buying a head, new pistons etc. I wanted some more power, wanted to be able to run a higher RPM (the 245 six maxes at out 3600 rpm... top speed was 52 mph with my 6.56 rear gear) as well as stepping up to a 5 speed trans. It had a four speed with no synchros. I ran across an engine and trans from a 72 Chevy truck that included all the mounts, cross members etc. so cheap I could not pass it up. Still having to do some fab work, and frankly right now, don't have a clue how I am going to rig a clutch linkage, but will tackle that when I get there.

Feel free to pm me. If this were a half ton, I would probably stay with the six, especially if yours has OD.

As for the radiator support (or saddle) there are radiators for sale on ebay made specifically for sbc conversions and the radiator will fit the stock bolt pattern on your truck.

Comment

Yup, radiators are fairly cheap.... Fleabay and they work too... got one in my 58.

Comment

Working...
                      X