Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BP & his Studes OK in Brownsburg, IN Tornadoes???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP & his Studes OK in Brownsburg, IN Tornadoes???

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/WAT...390253201.html

Thanks, Jim; we're OK. That's about as close to a tornado touchdown as I have ever lived or witnessed, but the touchdown was at least a mile from our propoerty as the crow flies.

'Funniest thing is that it was unbelievably calm at our house, with a little rain. If you weren't watching the news or listening to the tornado warning sirens screaming, you'd think it was an ordinary, slightly-rainy evening. Eerie, to be sure, but to stand on our front porch and look in the direction of the "tornado," you had no idea anything amiss was happening so close by.

SDCer Lanny Bertram (1963 R2/4-speed Lark Custom 2-door, 1950 Champion convertible) was a little closer to the path when it came up from the south, but the news reports had no damage in his neighborhood. 'Closer than Lanny would like, I'm sure. Ultimately, it passed only a few miles west of Ted Harbit's place, but it may have been back up in the air at the time. It was going up and down as well as diagonally SW to NE across Indiana.

Thanks again for your concern. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 08-16-2016, 02:31 AM. Reason: added notes on path and other SDCers
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Glad to hear all of you are fine!

Comment

Bob, glad it missed you!
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Just had a look at the video Bob. That's pretty frightening. Glad you're ok.

Stu Chapman

Comment

I too, am glad you managed to steer that storm in another direction.

Question...If you were to look out the window, and see that coming...would you run to the "Morton" building, or hunker down in the house?
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Geez, I totally missed this story! Glad all's OK for sure!
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              (formerly Greenville, PA)
              Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
              Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
              1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
              1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Me too! First, a natural gas explosion which levelled a city block not far away a few years ago, and now this!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Question...If you were to look out the window, and see that coming...would you run to the "Morton" building, or hunker down in the house?
                  Knowing how careful Bob is with his collector cars, he may have a system installed that will, with the push of a button, lower all those cars 20 feet underground and cover them with a blast door capable of withstanding a nuclear strike.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Good news Bob P, we were in the April 74 tornados in Alabama, these things are serious ! Now, per r1lark's comment, I also bet that if Bob has a "Lowering System" to protect the cars with a stand by electrical back-up system, then that may be a case of the most battery hold downs in existence, and also explains his comment in another post about "having an extra one".

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      I too, am glad you managed to steer that storm in another direction.

We have a full, deep basement, John. That's where we'd be! BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                        Me too! First, a natural gas explosion which levelled a city block not far away a few years ago, and now this! Craig
                        That explosion was many miles from us, Craig; at least 15, maybe 20. It posed no threat to us, thankfully! BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          We have a full, deep basement, John. That's where we'd be! BP
                          Wish I had one of those! When we were building my house, I was there, with the builder, when another friend showed up to install my septic system. As he was struggling trying to dig through huge boulders of blue granite, I mentioned that I wished I could have a basement.

Both of them laughed. The septic installer told me he didn't think I could afford the dynamite. So, I ended up with a crawl space, and I mean "crawl."

There have been a few times, when we have closed all the interior doors, and hunkered down in the hall. I enjoy living on a hill, overlooking the fields, not worrying about flooding, but the wind, and hail have given us a few white knuckle moments.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Living in tornado ally i know how fearful a tornado can be, I watched a tornado about 5 blocks from my old house from my roof ,do heavy damage, saw insulation and 2x4s flying everywhere. Then we had a tornado do major damage in Catoosa Ok. it set down 1 mile from my house and was on the ground for miles, it was also rain wrapped and i couldn't see it at all.
                            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

ROUND TWO!!! (another just hit this evening ...8/24/2016)

Last edited by 56Golden; 08-24-2016, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X