Fantastic pic from JRoberts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantastic pic from JRoberts!

Rather than clutter the "Studes in Roadside America" thread with too much distracting chatter, I thought this picture (post#6445) deserved some special discussion.

Notice the vehicle curbside on the right. It has iron wheels, a very long chassis, that seems to articulate/pivot near the driver's position. It is a rather long vehicle, with some kind of odd apparatus above the chassis. What is this thing? What purpose or utility did it serve?

Years ago, I had the privilege of thumbing through an old Studebaker horse drawn vehicle catalog with the late Carroll Studebaker. While we often see pictures depicting Studebaker farm wagons, carriages, and buggies...that catalog contained pictures of vehicles I had never seen. In addition to the water sprinklers pictured above, there were "sweepers," and "dump" wagons. These had geared mechanisms that operated the street sweeper brushes, and dump functions of the wagons. (Similar to dump trucks)

Another odd body offering (or lack of body) was a wheeled bare chassis used for hauling logs. Is this what is pictured (the large wooden wheeled vehicles) above?

Back in the 1980's, a news photographer showed up at my home to photograph my Studebaker truck. After the pic was published, along with a brief article, I got a call from a man in a nearby county. He tried to sell me a Studebaker horse drawn "Log-Hauler." He said he had inherited it from his grandfather. However, after he described it, and gave me a price I couldn't afford, I told him I would have to pass because, (at that time) I had no place to properly store it. The un-bodied chassis, shown above, looks a lot like what he described.

One additional comment regarding this great picture, I've counted five children. Zero horses, so I assume this is a "staged" photo. Anyone know where Lyons Implement was?
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

John, thanks for posting this great picture!!!
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Tom Monaghan posted this on Bob Johnstone's site (along with the sister) picture, back in 2013.
      Has some explanation attached to it.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Seems like I've seen a photo or illustration of a similar chassis that was described as a road grader/scraper.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Very cool. From the days when Studebaker ruled the transportation market.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
            Seems like I've seen a photo or illustration of a similar chassis that was described as a road grader/scraper.
            I was thinking it might be this but without a blade on the frame.....?
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

"Seems like I've seen a photo or illustration of a similar chassis that was described as a road grader/scraper.
              I was thinking it might be this but without a blade on the frame.....?"

My first thought as well!

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                "Seems like I've seen a photo or illustration of a similar chassis that was described as a road grader/scraper.
                I was thinking it might be this but without a blade on the frame.....?"

My first thought as well!
                About seven miles north of me, lived a wonderful old gentleman who lived to be nearly 100 years old. In addition to being a farmer, he had skills that were amazing. Machinist, blacksmith, artist, and an excellent musician. On his farm, he built a machine shop. He, his son, and three grandsons would run the machine shop. The adults, after getting home from their factory jobs, and the sons after school, would join their father and grandfather. Behind his machine shop, there was one of the old horse drawn road graders. It really resembled one of the more modern engine driven graders in its chassis. Only, no engine, but, there was high rear wheels, a metal spring loaded seat, and no enclosed cab. Otherwise, it had a high steel beam chassis with an articulating set of smaller diameter front wheels, and the blade hanging from a turret under the beam. In other words, it did not resemble the rig depicted in the subject picture of this thread.

I went up to their farm one day to find them hitching a mule team to the grader. I was surprised, because I thought it was just an old rusty relic. Instead, ever so often, they would hitch it up and restore some of the terraces in his hilly fields. Until you guys mentioned it, I had forgotten about the old grader. Those little boys are all grown up, married, and successful, with nice homes. I don't know the fate of the old grader.

Regarding the contraption in the picture...it is an interesting vehicle. Possible that it was not a Studebaker. I am wondering if the long poles, fold in for transport and lift high, like some kind of boom, or fold out to the sides? Could it be for some kind of "City" utility for large municipalities of the era? I would like to know.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Great pic John. I believe you may have unearthed a never before seen picture capturing Don Garlit's first attempt at a top fuel funny car.
                  Bill

Comment

Love that old photo - that was a time when taking a photo was serious stuff. Wonder if this is the same place:

Looks to be a eating and live music venue now. This is some of the history of their building: The building was once a Garage, called Carriage Works, built in 1890. Constructed to house the wholesale business of Todd and Hawley, Carriage Works operated here until 1902. Their stock was purchased by Lyons Implement Company, which carried a complete line of Studebaker vehicles, including buggies and wagons. Along with Lyons, San Diego Gas & Electric, San Diego Farm & Dairy Supply, and many more have occupied and added to this building’s rich history.

Address is 655 4th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101

Comment

A portable, horse-powered hammer-mill for grinding corn? There may be a gearbox above the front wheels, with the gearbox output shaft connected to a driveshaft that is situated underneath the frame that connects to the mill, meanwhile the input of the gearbox is connected to a wood pole that connects to a horse as the horse walks round and round. The horse would have to step over the frame & drive shaft each time as it walked around the front wheels. Just a guess though.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                        I was thinking it might be this but without a blade on the frame.....?
                        While doing a little google search, I was able to find this pic.

You can see that, although it has iron wheels, it is clearly a different style vehicle than the one in the first picture posted.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Could have been something manufactured by Oliver?
                          I see Lyons also was a dealer for Oliver.
                          and Ingersoll Watches.
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

The steel-wheeled implement in question is a horse-powered hay press (primitive hay baler). The wheels are for transport only. Once on site, the wheels would be removed and the remaining unit would be anchored to the ground. The 10' upper arm pointed backward is the sweep arm - 1 or 2 horses would be attached to this and walk in a continuous circle (pivoting just above the front axle). This rotational power was transferred along the frame to the plunger chamber visible in the far right of the picture. The hay is forked in from the top - by hand. The rear 8 feet of the machine is not visible in this picture - that is where the baled hay would would come out and be wire tied by hand before the bale finally exited the machine. I've operated these at farm shows over the years. They were made by numerous farm equipment companies.

Tom.

Comment

Here are some interesting pic's...Thanks for the input, Tom!

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X