PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

km420
08-12-2016, 07:51 PM
What is the widest wheel anyone on here is running? I'm not usually a fan of putting newer wheels on older cars like these, but I found a set I like I may possibly look into. But, they're 17x9 with 20 backspacing. Pretty sure that's too big.

(I probably will keep stock anyway, but I feel this is always a nice thread to start)

StudeRich
08-12-2016, 09:13 PM
The best FIT and safest, most 'Steerable" width Wheels, IMHO are 5 1/2 to 6 Inch Ford or MoPar.

Sure some radical Rodders have put 7 and maybe 8 Inch or more on the Rear, but they will never look even close to correct on a otherwise Original Car.

sweetolbob
08-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Running 15X8 on my 83 Avanti with no issues, Lark frame. IIRC they are 3.75" back spacing on the front, Rear are 4.75 BS IIRC. Running 2000 circa Mustang bullitt 17 X 8 wheels on my 74 Avanti. They work on the back but the front needed a 1/8" spacer to clear the front suspension. Backspacing is always the issue. If you have the wheels, put them on and see what they look like and then anticipate what the tires will look like on them. You can Google the tire sizes you would like to run and measure twice, order once. Later Mustang wheels, 2004 up, have even more backspacing and would be dicey to use without close measurements.
Bob

leonard
08-13-2016, 12:57 AM
what is this spacing about?. I thought all you did was go to the suppler pick out what you wanted,pay for them take them home and install them on the car. did I miss something?.

StudeRich
08-13-2016, 02:03 AM
You sure did miss something, that would be like picking out a nice looking Shirt and buying it without looking a the Tag that says "Small" when you take a Large! :)

The distance from the inner edge of the wheel Rim to the Mounting surface of the wheel center (Backset), determines whether or not it will clear the Tie Rods, inner fenders, Floor Pan, Disc. Brake Caliper (if equipped) and also the Offset to the Outside will tell if it will cause the tire to hit the Fender Wheelwell Lip.

Then there is of course the 5 on 4 1/2 Inch Bolt Pattern to be matched, which does happen to be the same as Ford & Chrysler Products if they are old enough to be Rear Wheel Drive.

Oh yeah, then you may be concerned about if Hub Caps or Wheel Covers will FIT!
This would be the ONLY thing that would not matter if you are buying "Mag" type or Custom type Alloy wheels.

55 56 PREZ 4D
08-13-2016, 10:29 PM
https://www.wheelfire.com/ccontent/TechWheel.cfm
Each vehicles wheels are designed for that vehicle. Offset, backspacing, wheel [or rim] width, diameter.
There are wheels from other vehicles that will fit Studebaker, as long as the specs are correct for Studebaker.

leonard
08-14-2016, 12:43 AM
thanks one and all.it pays to ask questions. leonard

Mike Van Veghten
08-14-2016, 11:45 AM
I have 8" wheels under the back one of my Conestogas.
I have 10" wheels under the back my 60 Lark wagon.

You didn't ask about which car or has it been modified !

Mike

km420
08-14-2016, 03:25 PM
I have 8" wheels under the back one of my Conestogas.
I have 10" wheels under the back my 60 Lark wagon.

You didn't ask about which car or has it been modified !

Mike

Good Point! I have a 61 Lark Sedan I'm primarily wondering about, but I do like seeing/hearing what everyone has on all of their own personal vehicles as opposed to just my own

what kind of mods do you have on that wagon?

wittsend
08-14-2016, 06:48 PM
225-60-16's on Crown Vic Cop Car 16" wheels. Like the look, hate the steering (manual). And, while wheel size and backspacing is important - so is the tire width and height. Just because the wheel clears the suspension doesn't mean the tires clear everything else.