Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you w/ really DEEP pockets....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you w/ really DEEP pockets....

From Hemmings Daily Blog for Friday, September 12:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Stu and I must've posted at exactly the same time. I checked the forum for coverage of this item and, seeing none, posted it.

When I came back ten minutes later, Stu had done the same. Great minds and all that.... BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

But you were a minute faster, and Stu most likely was posting as you hit 'enter'.

How many more are going to post on this same subject over the next two or three days?

Craig

Comment

My question would be. Did Vince Gardner install the swing pedals in 1950? Not likely. I see an electric cooling fan was added at some point as well.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

There is no point in anyone getting their hopes up as it's probably already parked next to BP'S Daytonas!

Comment

For such an otherwise sleek fantasy shape by a respected stylist, doesn't the grill incongruously seem to be unfinished or missing something?

At least it has a proto-bullet....
            Last edited by DougHolverson; 08-12-2016, 09:17 AM.
            1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
            1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
            1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
            1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
            1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
            1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Wow that is a great looking car in all angles but the front end .. I agree with you Doug that it looks like its missing something .
              Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                There is no point in anyone getting their hopes up as it's probably already parked next to BP'S Daytonas!
                Only if it was Astra White!
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...w-even-existed

Craig

Comment

I'll take two of them, please.
                    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Well...my pockets are so deep...no matter how far down I reach...I can't get to the money!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I found the car stored at the Packard Museum in downtownDayton, Ohio during a visit in May last year.

Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Thank you very much, these are MUCH better Pictures than the lousy Photos on the Hemmings Daily Auction Ad.
                          They do not have one single Pic showing ANY of the special rear Treatment or good pics of the Plexiglas Roof.

That Car is just THE most awesome thing EVER!

It is very Clear that Vince was the Real Deal, a very "out of the Box" thinker for sure!

That view of the Trunk further explains what they were casually mentioning as "the pneumatic lifts for the hood and trunk" which were WAY more than THAT!

You can easily see that they are actually HYDRAULIC controlled from the Pump that looks like a Fuel Pump and the Starter standing on end under the hood in the Left Rear corner!

Talk about advanced! I would guess that the Overhead suspended Pedals, actually WERE original!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-12-2016, 03:49 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Deep pockets, and more dollars than sense.

Comment

This morning, after seeing both of the threads on this car, I googled it. I spent quite some time clicking through many pictures. Apparently, it has had a long life in the high end collector car community. From old black and white snap shots from the "bobby sock" era, to the digital age. It is obvious, that it has had several "custom" upgrades since its early custom birth. For example, although it now sports hydraulic hood and trunk lifts, one picture revealed it on some "Pebble Beach" type show-field, with what looked like a rather crude wooden prop rod for the hood. Also, it looked like that dash and instrument set evolved over time.

Just as we often say about a restoration..."THEY ARE NEVER REALLY FINISHED." ...the same could be applied to a "Custom," regardless of its notoriety, or fame.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X